Tin resources

Swampman1

Where can I find the most economical resource for tin to add in my lead? I'm looking at 95/5 solder, but wondering if there is something priced better. Thanks.

Pewter. You can find it online for about $8/lb, or you can find it in Thrift and Antique stores for less if you're lucky. Pewter runs about 85-90% tin most of the time.

Your local plumbing contractors - particularly those that specialize in commercial new construction. They buy solder, cases at a time, and may be willing to make a few bucks by passing on their bulk discount to you.

Also, radiator shops. Their drippings and trimmings are sold for scrap. If you beat the scrap price (or even just keep them from having to drive to the scrap yard), they'll usually make you a good deal.

I get mine from a commercial plumber that specializes in hospital and school remodels, and commercial new construction. (Residential plumbers don't use much solder, these days.)

I have been window shopping on ebay for old pewter plates and pots thinking the same thing. Did some reading and one thing to be aware of is that usually pewter is mostly tin, and the remaining is mostly antimony- which is great.

But one thing I ran into via net surfing is that it is common to alloy in as much copper as the alloy will take (1% +-) to harden the alloy. Supposedly the copper is not great for casting but I was never able to really sort out if it was a significant concern.

The prices on pewter are pretty hard to beat though. Maybe someone with more knowledge will fill in on this alloy. :)

Back