Tin bullets!

chris in va

Just for the heck of it, I cast these 45 ACP from tin sourced from pewter. They normally weigh 230gr in lead but scale at 152gr.

I plan to make 'dummy' bullets as gifts to a couple friends.:cool:

That makes it real easy to add tin to your pot to bring the alloy/tin ratio up to where you want it. I considered doing the same thing for the lead-free solder I bought from flea-bay, it's a very fine rosin core wire.

Having the tin in a form like that makes it easier to add some tin than spooling 20" of solder wire to have to feed into the pot.

Be careful about telling your friends that they are dummy bullets. Most of my circle of acquaintances would take offense at being handed the "bullet for dummies".

I remember reading about pewter pistol bullets a few years ago, evidently the bullets were so hard and light they'd cleanly punch through soft body armor.

Might be nice to put some shiny bullets like that in an ammo belt for a "Lone Ranger" type costume :D

Jimro

Might be nice to put some shiny bullets like that in an ammo belt for a "Lone Ranger" type costume

:D

I did consider giving these as silver bullet gifts.

I spent 2 hours last night searching through my 45 cases to find old WW2 headstamps. Located four, FC 42, WCC and RA 42. I now have a nifty bullet necklace.:cool:

I worked at a circuit board factory for a number of years, and left with 100 or more pounds of scrap 60/40 tin/lead solder. I cast them up about a pound at a time, to add to other alloys, so they'll completely fill out the molds. They each weigh about 180 gr. when I use a a 230 LRN mold, and tirating the amount of tin needed is pretty easy.

Back