• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Timely Completion of Transactions

starislon2

What amount of time is appropriate for the buyer and seller to complete a transaction that resulted from a classified ad on the FLF?

I seem to remember someone on one of the forums saying it is customary for buyers and sellers to contact each other with in 48 hours to arrange payment etc. Is this the accepted practice?

In other words after someone has agreed to buy something, but fails to arrange payment, how long should the seller wait before re-listing ad?

It is difficult to answer this question as it is very subjective and the answer will likely differ from member to member.

Personally, I make a point to contact the seller within 24 hours of winning an auction or agreeing to buy something online. Others may say 48 hours or longer if a national holiday or a weekend is involved.

As for re-listing - that, too, is subjective. By all means, give the buyer a reasonable amount of time to respond and try all possible methods of contacting him to arrange payment or to back out of the deal.

There are no set rules on TFL's Gun Show boards regarding this issue, so just do what you think is right and reasonable and you should be okay. Posting your question here certainly shows that you are doing your due diligence.

Hope this helps. :)

-Dave

I haven't tried a TFL auction, but I did buy a handgun through Gunbroker, and it took about two weeks. We kept in touch by email every step of the way, and it might have gone faster if I had sent a cashier's check, but I sent a personal check. The seller waited until it cleared her bank (understandable). Sending a cashier's check or money order would probably have sped things up. I wasn't in a rush, and the seller kindly held it for me until my check cleared. All-in-all, a good transaction.

Back