Tikka T3x - blue or stainless?

redhawk41

I’m looking for a Tikka T3x in .300WM with a threaded barrel. The Roughtech comes in blue and stainless. Stainless is +$200. There is a possibility at some point down the line I may want to cerakote the action and install a carbon barrel. I’m more inclined to use a blued model for this. There is also a possibility I’ll just leave it alone (maybe a new stock). I’m more inclined to use a stainless model for this.

What are your thoughts?

Given the choice I gravitate towards stainless rifles. Stainless barrels might wear a little better, but I doubt it'll out shoot the chrome moly barrel. Either way you go it won't be a wrong choice.

Have you looked at the Sako S20? It's cerakoted from the factory. Europtics has them for $1,099.

The Sako is a bit heavier than the Tikka. It is also limited in customization to the two factory stocks, Hunter and Precision. However, out of the box it is cerakote stainless with threaded muzzle and cheek riser for a pretty good price. The tinkerer in me at some point may want to totally trick the rifle out, but the pragmatist in me says a factory rifle with everything I want at a good price is probably the way to go.

Well thanks to Sako2 I ended up with not one, but two S20s, one in 6.5 CM and one in .300 Win mag, one hunter stock and one precision stock. $999 each from eurooptics.

All things being equal I prefer SS. But $200 isn't equal.

I have 4 Tikka's. A 308, a 6.5CM and a 22 LR. All in blue. I also have another SS 308 that I bought used at a great price.

With most manufacturers SS is only around $100 more. At that price I'd buy SS. But it isn't worth $200 more for me.

Stainless or Blued barrel

If you are hunting in wet conditions or might be out overnight in a tent in wet conditions, you can't bear Stainless. Sometimes even in dry conditions I was happy to have used stainless when the the next day I found blood on the barrel of my rifle I missed. Blood does a number on a blued barrel in short order!

Redhawk41, you might do some research on that Tikka or call the company. There was a recall some years ago on some Tikka T3 and Sako rifles. Something about ruptures or split stainless barrels resulting from sub-standard metals.

Back