Tikka T3 Varmint scope help

wnycollector

I'm looking for opinions on a new scope for my Tikka T3 Varmint 223. The rifle is going to be used for punching paper out to 300 yards 90% of the time with the occasional chuck hunt at a buddies parents dairy farm. I'm waffling between a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44.

Both have 95% glass, side focus and BDC recticles. They both have similar power ranges. The Vortex has a 30mm tube and the Nikon a 1". The price for the Viper is $20 less than the Nikon.

Any help deciding would be great.

Heck, you already know that the Nikon fans are going to vote for Nikon, and same with the Vortex fans. I'm a Leupold fan, so I'll say to get the 6.5-20 VX3 with fine crosshairs with CDS or the Varmint Hunter reticle. For the two you mentioned, if price is about the same, I'd go for the one with the best warranty. I will mention the one thing I dislike about Nikon, and that's the BDC 'holes' that they use. Personally, I don't like that, and would prefer the small dot type BDC, or better yet - the thin lines.

CameralandNY has a good price on that Vortex, or one close to it.
Natchezss has a good price on a Weaver grand slam about that size, and there's a rebate.

Target Dot

Don't know if you like a dot type reticle, but they really work good for me. Just something about getting that dot on the bullseye or the prairie dog that makes it work. I have a Nikon Buckmaster and a Leupold VXII with dots. Wouldn't trade'em for anything else.

YOU can't go wrong with either I have the nikon monacrh 5x20x44 you speak of . IT's a great scope got a hell of a deal on it . Also have leupold and Bushnell elites all good scopes . THE Vortex high end scopes are right there with them , LOOK through them and let your eyes be the judge !!

Back