Tikka T3 lite or Remington model 700 SPS

hard to beat the cold hammer forged barrels. I dont care for the drop magazine on the tikka and i am less exited about the stock but the trigger is better than the older remington. the newer X trigger is better. accuracy goes towards the tikka if you can realize it in a hunting situation or not, im unsure.

Which ever feels best to you.

I have an SPS in -06 beaded stainless and synthetic and love it. Shoots better than I do, makes critters into dinners. Great factory recoil pad.

tikka

My uncle has a tikka t3 light in .270. The rifle shoots MOA at 100yds and i a great rifle to carry around. You will see a pic of him and a boar taken on our last hunt a few days ago, in the hunt forums.

Tikka t3, will shoot better and has a better stock.

OK, here we go.

"Better" accuracy in a hunting rifle past a certain point is a non-issue. My Rem will shoot sub-MOA and I am sure the Tikka will as well.

I still stick by which ever one feels better to you.

you are MUCH MORE LIKELY to get a shooter out of a Tikka box than a green one.
Remington 700 is for a hobbyist, Tikka is for someone that wants it done right the first time.

Remington 700 is for a hobbyist, Tikka is for someone that wants it done right the first time.

Wow... I don't think i would go that far. I'm certain Remington makes some of the finest and most accurate factory rifles in the world. I'm also pretty sure many "professionals" use Remington rifles. I know Tikka has a great reputation but I don't think that qualifies Remington as a "hobbyist" product.

Just my opinion.

you are MUCH MORE LIKELY to get a shooter out of a Tikka box than a green one.

1) This is based on what? your opinion?
2) If by "hobbyist" you are indicating that you have to do a lot of work to a Rem right out of the box, in my experience that is not true. My rifle is as stock as the day I got it.

On the other hand, I am a hobbyist, in that I enjoy shooting and hunting. So I guess I made the right choice for me.

Must....stop....getting....sucked...in....by....these....threads:rolleyes:

I like both! But....I used to own all Rem 700 rifles....my last three rifles replaced Rem 700s and were all Tikka T3 stainless lites....the T3 is a great rifle for the money!

Remington, better quality, better design....

And if you ever have to get parts or have it serviced, if you have a Tikka, you are SOL. Beretta service/parts are the worst in the industry, they make Taurus and Bersa look good

WildfromexperienceAlaska ™

Rifle

WA summed it up pretty well.

I have handled and shot Tikka's. They do shoot well. But I just can not get over the fact that the rifle feels like one of the plastic rifles I played with when i was a kid. I will probably get flamed for saying that . But I have friends who have Tikkas. And when they show their rifle to someone, the comment is always "Plastic on a deer rifle". "Not for me". I have heard this several times. I have never heard a person make that comment about a Remington.

I do not blame people for defending their Tikka's if they like them. But they should not knock another product because "They have a Tikka". They should knock the product if it is the truth. And personally I have not seen alot of Remington bashers present many facts-they just repeat what they have heard.

Buy the rifle you like. But if you are looking for the truth then that is a different story. And as I posted on another Tikka T3 post. If you do not like your Remington you can always trade it for a Tikka. That is called trading down. Tom.

Leupold, Remington, Chevy,.....where does it end?
Making a statement that Rem makes some of the best rifles in the world is like saying Chevy makes some of the best race cars in the world.
Remington designed a lowcost, easily machined action that is easy for a gunsmith to put on a lathe and true, which needs to be done too often for my tastes.
'Professionals' do not shoot out-of-the-box Remingtons.
Compare Tikka trigger out of the box to a Rem 700 SPS.
Compare the smoothness of the actions out of the box.
There are many stories about Rem barrels bored out of center, rough actions that need lapping, triggers set for lawyer-level pull...scope mounts tapped out of center....the list goes on.
I wanted a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in the worst way and made the mistake of picking up a Tikka in the shop before I bought it.
There was no comparison.
My fondest memories as a kid involved a green box.
Not what I would buy my son today.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,78519.0.html

Last edited:
I have handled and shot Tikka's. They do shoot well. But I just can not get over the fact that the rifle feels like one of the plastic rifles I played with when i was a kid. I will probably get flamed for saying that . But I have friends who have Tikkas. And when they show their rifle to someone, the comment is always "Plastic on a deer rifle". "Not for me". I have heard this several times. I have never heard a person make that comment about a Remington.

I do not blame people for defending their Tikka's if they like them. But they should not knock another product because "They have a Tikka". They should knock the product if it is the truth. And personally I have not seen alot of Remington bashers present many facts-they just repeat what they have heard.

Buy the rifle you like. But if you are looking for the truth then that is a different story. And as I posted on another Tikka T3 post. If you do not like your Remington you can always trade it for a Tikka. That is called trading down. Tom.

I didn't see much in the way of bashing in here from Tikka owners. I did see several who own both and stated they prefer the Tikka and one who had 3 remingtons that are now tikkas. In fact, any bashing I've seen has been from the Remmy camp, though I'm not at all sure why. What I have not seen is anyone who owns a tikka and a remington who prefers the remington. I wonder why that is?

On the plastic issue, where you say your friends say no plastic on a deer rifle for them and you have never heard that comment made about a remington...do you believe that Tikka does not make wood clad rifles or do you believe that Remington does not make synthetics? Either way, I think you should do some research. If you don't like plastic...that's cool. But if you were elk hunting in colorado..I would bet you would change your mind. In any event, you can choose plastic or wood in either rifle....

Every custom benchrest action is an improved version of a 700. Some will even interchange stocks, and almost all will use the same trigger. You can get the finest trigger in the world for a 700(Jewell). You wont get a Tikka much lower than 2 lbs. The 700 has no plastic parts other than a possible synthetic stock. I consider it amatuerish to compare how smooth bolts are. Certain designs will always be different and this is not necessarily a sign of quality. For example a claw controlled action which is more expensive to produce will usually be less smooth compared to a push-feed.

More professionals rely on the 700 than any other. You can rest assured the soldiers in the sandbox aren't *&^%ing around with plastic magazines and triggerguards.

That said the T3 is amazingly accurate and I like to think of them as a $100 rifle with a $300 barrel. Nobody can say Tikkas don't shoot good. However the last 2 700's I bought have produced groups well under 1/2" with A-Max handloads on a regular basis.

Back