Tikka T3 Hunter

Wendyj

Found a good deal on line for these in about 4 calibers. Looking strongly at the 7 mag. Any pros and cons to the walnut stock verses the synthetic. All my Tikkas are synthetic.

I would go with walnut in a 300 win mag ,since I have reloading components for 30 call shoot a 270 which is 277 ,and 7 mag I believe is 284 ,so 30 cal for me

I reload for the 7 mag. The 300 win mag in that weight is a little stout for my size. Got an older 7 in Remington adl that wasn't too bad. Shot the barrel out though and would really like another Tikka. Hoping the 9.5 twist will handle the 162 grain bullets I like.

The caliber is the caliber. Get what you want or know. I'm biased.

As for the wood stock. There is something pleasing to the eye about wood and bluing.
I do like the lines of their wood stocks.

Posting by memory here, so; I maybe totally wrong. I though the wood Tikka still use plastic bottom metal and plastic magazines. That would be similar to the current Browning T Bolt. In both cases, I prefer to simply go all plastic than have a pseudo classic cheeped out wood gun.

I will grant, the wood Tikkas look good on the rack the problem is once you pick one up. I believe in both guns the all plastic is significantly lighter.

The wood Sako is a thing of beauty, but cost mega bucks for what by all accounts is no performance gain over the Tikka. Wood and steel do not cost that much more to produce. That action is a little nice, FWIW.

My personal preference would be for a standard caliber, not a belted magnum. The extra wear and tear on gun and shooter dont amount to anything practical where I live. I have to go with the last post, you should not be asking us about that unless you are a newbie and then you get 10 pages of debate.

That is a very good price for a quality firearm. IMHO, as always.

The wood stock would help absorb some of the excessive recoil.
A T3 Hunter weighs 6 pounds 13 ounces. A 7mm Mag's 150 grain bullet at 3100 fps out of an 8.5 lbs. rifle has 19.2 ft-lbs of energy. That rifle would not be fun to shoot.

I've got a synthetic in 300 wsm. Not going to sit at bench all day with it but can handle it for small range session. The 300 win mag just hurts from start to finish. I have never owned a Tikka in synthetic that wouldn't shoot. Not sure about the wood hunter though. Going to try one anyway.

Back