Tightening AR-15 Barrel?

lawndoctor1

Is there a "industry standard" torque lbs I should tighten my barrel back on my AR-15 rifle that's chambered in 7.62x39?

Please remove this thread for me. I have located the correct answer to my question.

Last edited:
AR is not my forte. My understanding is that the "spec" is the minimum. Torque over that to align the gas tube. Some manufacturers have minimum and maximum.

-TL

Regular mortal human beings can assemble an AR.It helps to have mechanical and firearms skills.More than that,you need some essential tools and a clear understanding of what you are trying to do.
I hope you have the appropriate tooling to not destroy the upper receiver .

I suggest getting a reference book before proceding.At the minimum,the old GI armorers manual is available for abot $6. Tooling and methods have evolved,but that gives a workable step by step.

Its not just a "torque to x x ft lbs " process. There is not a "torque toxx ft lbs" answer.

If you do some research or buy a reference from Brownells or Midway,you will have your answers.

There was a directive from the White House about ITAR and what is gunsmithing and export.

I'm not sure where the line is about giving technical advice on the internet.

The resources are available.

Last edited:
Torque values must be calculated, based upon the type of barrel nut wrench and torque wrench being used.

If the manufacturer is telling you 17 ft-lb, then you need to find out what type of wrench, and in what configuration (straight? 90-degree?), that figure is intended to be used with.

And...
Some barrel nuts are not designed to be torqued to a specific value. Some are simply: "Hand-tighten until a sharp rise in torque is felt and barrel extension is contacting both receiver face and barrel nut. Using xxx wrench, tighten until gas tube passes freely, without interference."

Yes it is a torque to 35 foot pounds up to 65/80 to align the gas tube to the barrel but groove.

If there is propritory nut for that barrel then you use that figure and wrench for that nut/barrel.

ITAR has zero to do with advise on the Internet.

Back