TIGHT grip for accuracy?

1911Heaven

I was wondering if some of the experienced 1911 shooters would weigh in on this one- Recently I consolidated some duplication and bought a Wilson Service Grade(LOVE IT!!). Having never had this much tied up in one piece,I wanted to see if it lived up to the accuracy claims.Over sandbags I can get 5 shot groups at fifteen yards that are cloverleafed at one inch or so;moving out to twenty-five yards they open to about two-inches.I noticed in the first 50 rounds or so that all groupings were running to the left an inch or two.This piece has fixed tritium sights and I did'nt have a sight press with me at the range so I decided to give it a try the next dat with the proper tools.Next day I took an old friend along who has shot 1911's competivly for 25 yearsand after watching for awhile suggested that I tighten my grip. I did,almost to the point of muscle tremor,and the groups moved right into the X ring.I have left the sights alone for now. Have any of you guys experienced this?

1911 Heaven:
You didn't mention if you were using two hands or one. But your instructor advised you correctly, based upon the result. You mentioned that your grip was "almost" to tremor. With a 1911 that was the old school on getting a proper grip for one handed shooting, and it still works.

If your are using two hands, tightnening the weak hand will accomplish the same thing. Just push down with the weak thumb on the strong thumb and see what happens.

Might know the instructor you have if he is a "hard ball" shooter of 25 yes. Mind telling us?

HJN

Right on Mr. Nolden! Remember recoil will always seek the point of least resistance.
Putting more left hand by way of increasing
resistance is an excellent way of recoil
management.

Harley-thanks for the input-a little validation always helps. I was using two hands,and as my fingers are on the long side,I have the habit of wrapping my left index around the trigger guard; I know this has fallen out of favor in certain circles,but I have done it for so many years that it is intinctive now. I was also advised that,while standing in Weaver,to pull back tightly with my left hand.This has effectivly shifted my offhand groups to target center,so I guess,in my case at least,that this also was sound advise. I don't think my friend will mind his name being posted here-when I see him tommorow,I will ask.Thanks again.

Back