Tight chambers on a SW Model 63

p l i n k e r

I've got a M63 (.22lr J-Frame revolver) that has awfully tight chambers. How much would it cost to have them 'opened up' a little bit so that shells could be dropped in and extracted more easily? Any reccomendations on a smith?

Plinker,
I too own a S&W Model 63. You might try a polishing paste like Flitz or Semichrome on a cleaning patch in each chamber. This stuff will remove any firing residue and leave a nice polish to the chambers. It can't hurt and might help? At least in the cleaned and polished chambers you could better see if there are any burrs or scratches that might be causing a tight cartridge fit. Do you have the problem with different types of ammo?
Good Luck

Plinker, I almost hate to ask this but do you dry fire the pistol or perhaps bought it used and the previous owner dry fired it. That could be a reason for the dings that Oldspeed asked about. If your chambers are dinged from dry firing you need to have them swaged. You could probably figure on $25 to $50 depending on who did it. If they need to be reamed you'll probably double that. George

Thanks for the replies.

It was bought used. And looks to have had a lot of DA firing. (I have learned my lesson about impulse buying used firearms over the net.)

The problem is that cartridges have to pushed in and become difficult to extract after less than a brick through it. Even perfectly clean, cartridge won't 'fall' all the way in. I have heard about this problem with other 'older' SW .22s on gunspot.com and glocktalk.com. I used to shoot a SW34 that didn't exhibit this problem, even after many bricks.

I guess that it needs reamed. I've polished with metal polish and Lead-Away cloth a lot, and it is better than when I got it. But it still is less than optimal.

[This message has been edited by p l i n k e r (edited June 22, 2000).]

Back