Tight and slow VS Fast and reliable

true, but im asking, focus solely on maintaining .5" groups at 100 yards going slow and steady, or focus on having minuminal distance between shots at 100, but faster shooting

It depends on what you are shooting and how. In most of my practice my goal is 6" groups. If I am shooting 2" groups, I shoot faster or increase the distance. 8" I slow down or move closer. I don't shoot much over 15 yards most of the time with handguns, or 100 yards with a rifle due to space limitations.

When I shoot bullseye, I don't pay much attention to the clock.

Depends on the game you're playing. Also on the course of fire. Tight and slow is only good for Slow fire target shooting. Not so much for Timed or Rapid.
.5" groups at 100 yards are rarely required for anything but working up loads. That is more about knowing that your rifle can do it and will put the bullet where you want it when you want it to. Doesn't apply to handguns at all. Unless your hunting with one. Mind you, if you can't shoot .5" groups at 100 there's not a chance you'll be able to shoot fast and accurate enough to keep 'em in the black. Principles are the same anyway. Sight picture, breathing and trigger control.
Lotta "It depends." in shooting.

Lohman446 said:
False dichotomy

Agreed.

Good marksmanship and a strong foundation in the fundamentals is the foundation of all shooting. I gotta agree with T. O'Heir, in that if you can't shoot a decent group when given all the time in the world and under no pressure, you sure ain't gonna do very when time matters. ;)

I used to compete quite a bit with a revolver. Here's an El Prez drill shot on steel with a revolver (including reload) against the timer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNFerCV3W4Y

And here's a pic of a 5-shot 25 yard group, shot with a revolver in double action:
SW617B-16Freestyle.jpg

The proficient shooter will be able to do both when needed. If not, there's a big hole in their repertoire.

I carry only for self defense and although accuracy is an important element, I have never tried to be a 10 ring shooter. If its in the black or within a 6" circle at a rapid fire pace, I am satisfied.

A .5 inch group at 100 yards would be smaller than a dime - pretty good with a handgun, I would say.

Jim

Fast or slow?

People shoot for different reasons. Some shoot for the competition, some shoot for fun, some including those above shoot to perfect their ability to defend themselves with a firearm.

Target shooting is slower with tighter accuracy, gaming or organized competetion tends to be faster and reasonably tight....

Shooting for self defense JMO is completely different... neither speed or tight will be the highest priority. While they are still important, tactics is what will more than likely decide the outcome of the shooting.

If we're talking self defense, speed with acceptable accuracy is much more desirable.

You should be training so that all your shots are hitting COM at your fastest speed. If your getting shots outside that area you need to slow down, if your shots are all touching you aren't going fast enough.

The bad guy doesn't have to be good, he just has to get lucky. Don't give him time to get lucky.

It's still good to train shooting small precise groups. You want to be able to wring the most from your gun whether it's speed or accuracy depending on what's needed.

Try shooting bowling pins,

first you get nice shoots then you get "fast & furious.

Especially, when you shoot a revolver.

For any given shooter, accuracy vs time are always a balancing act. I would suggest you work with a timer.

For a drill like draw and fire 6 into a paper plate at 5 yds, it should be fairly easy to achieve accuracy at 1s split times. Amp the speed up to .6s and maybe you just clip the edge... .4s and maybe 1 drops off...and so on.

At 10 yards, hits will be slower.

Better accuracy like head shots will be slower. Target transitions slow you down too.

So, the key is working on one skill at a time with a timer....as you progress, you can add difficulty and or distance to build your skills.

So, to answer......as fast as I can put shots in a paper plate at a given distance.

Back