Ticks on deer ?

mete

The tick populations have spread greatly in this country .I'd like comments about ticks you've seen on deer , how many. Growth of tick numbers in your area.
Of course ticks can bring Lyme disease with them .Lyme now is in N Dekota ! I'm hearing more andmore stories of hunters getting a deer but walking away from it when they see the ticks. Unless you treat it quickly Lyme can be very difficult to deal with ! It's very difficult to find competent doctors.

[QUOTEI'm hearing more and more stories of hunters getting a deer but walking away from it when they see the ticks.[/QUOTE] Its a natural thing for wild roaming animals to have ticks.
Bow hunters see tick infestation on their harvested deer quite often. {I know I have} Gun hunters should expect the same occasionally. To leave a big game animal to rot for such a bogus reason is disgusting and should never take place. I would consider someone who has done just (that) nothing more than a licensed idiot.

It is a simple matter to hang the deer over a couple partial buckets of water in a cool place. When the weather is warm I usually find ticks on me but I drown then in the hot tub at the cabin.

I have on a couple occasions seen some pretty heavily infested deer, but most will only have 1 or 2, if any. strangely, my younger brother found one on his deer last week after it was left to hang for a couple days, usually they will evacuate a cold body.

I have actually noticed a decline in tick populations in the last couple years. I used to pick 3-5 ticks on me per year. in the last two years I have found a single tick on my person. could be a natural lull in populations or it could be man-bear-pig spreading his plague of global warming(which technically would increase populations of ticks but what do I know?).

either way, the ticks we have in my particular region don't carry Lyme, only small pockets of the state have the species known to be carriers.

I've never seen a tick on a deer I've shot, but than again, I hunt November Firearm (or later) in Nebraska, so we always have a hard freeze by then and the ticks have dropped off for the winter.

I have seen ticks on deer earlier in the year, and on me, as well, particularly when dove and turkey hunting. I've been running around outdoors all my life, and checking yourself over after being outside is just second nature ...... IDK what the big deal is .....

Sure Shot Mc Gee
To leave a big game animal to rot for such a bogus reason is disgusting and should never take place. I would consider someone who has done just (that) nothing more than a licensed idiot.

I agree with that 100%.

I have harvested deer that had ticks on them that I could see. I have harvested some that I haven't seen a tick on. I archery hunt starting in September. I find ticks on my from time to time. I have gotten to the point where when I shoot a deer I don't even look for ticks. I just get at the gutting and dragging it out. Not worth wasting the time to look for the ticks. I check myself after each time I am in the woods. Ticks are a part of hunting. Spend enough time in the woods and you will end up with some on you

I don't remember the last time I handled a deer that didn't have ticks. They come right off with the hide. Ticks are just a part of the outdoors here. Pick them off, seal them I a piece of tape and toss them the trash, or about a one second touch with a lighter flame.

If there are ticks on a deer you shot, and you didn't shoot the deer from the front seat of the truck, odds are you have ticks on you too. Anywhere there are deer, there are going to be ticks. Preventing ticks from getting on you is very simple. Most repellants are very effective against ticks. If you don't want to use repellant, stay outta the woods for a coupla hard freezes or check yourself when you get home and pull them off. The ticks that carry Lyme can be very small and almost impossible to spot when they attach themselves to inconspicuous parts of your body. Most doctors nowadays anywhere Lyme is present are pretty informed. Was different 20 years ago when I had Lyme. Even tho they tell me I am probably immune from getting it again, I use repellant anytime ticks are likely to be present. It's cheap insurance.

Last edited:
I should have defined things like infestation. I've hunted for many years and never was surprised to see a few ticks on a deer as a healthy deer can support them .If I had see 50 ticks I would assume an unhealthy deer . However now I'm hearing about hundreds of ticks on an animal !! As tick population are growing rapidly I'd like to know where and how severe.

As for getting Lyme , I'm still battling a serious Lyme infection. If you find and treat Lyme quickly it's not a big problem. However after a long term case knowledgable doctors are rare and the disease can have dangerous symptoms and difficult to treat. It can be deadly, cause long term and permanent damage .
I'm not "afraid "of Lyme but have a serious respect for a difficult bacterial infection.
Let's have some serious discussion about the problem.

In some earlier season hunts it's not uncommon to see a few dozen ticks on a deer. Never really tried to estimate an actual count so I am guesding. Never noticed the deer looking unhealthy at all. Honestly around my house I haven't noticed the numbers of ticks in the last few years since I quit renting property to neighbor for cattle. Lyme disease is not a joke, have had friends with it but fortunately not me. Diagnostics are getting better and more doctors are gaining some knowledge and experience with the disease I do use permanonew repellent when I know I am going to be exposed, it most certainly helps.

Few years back, I walked into the spring woods to quickly scout an area I wanted to take my son Turkey hunting the next morning. I was on my way home from work and did not have any repellant. A half hour later, back at the truck, I pulled 40 or so "bear" ticks off me. Thus the idea that a healthy deer could have 100 or more ticks on it's body is no surprise to me. Standard procedure for me anytime I hunt, hike, search for Morels is to use repellant. I also take all my clothes of and either put them in the washing machine immediately with hot water, or put them outside so any ticks on them will crawl off. I use Frontline on my bird dog from the first warm days of spring till after a coupla hard freezes in the fall. At three years old, she already has the spirochetal bacteria present in her blood. Since she has yet to manifest any symptoms, the local vet will not treat her. They claim 80% of the dogs they test have the spirochetal bacteria that cause Lyme in their blood. Years ago a good friend of mine shot a 180 class buck with a bow and stopped by with it to show me. The buck was in the back of his truck and the bed of the truck was covered with at least 100 various sized ticks that were leaving the deer as it cooled. The deer was obviously very healthy as it was heavy in rut and chasing does when my friend shot it.

I make no joke about ticks and Lyme, this is why I suggest always using a repellant when they may be present. But they and the Lyme they carry are a fact of life in the outdoors. Even if one never goes into the woods, they are present in your backyard.

Do some homework !!!

I'm hearing more andmore stories of hunters getting a deer but walking away from it when they see the ticks
That is a rooky move and all hunters should know the difference between a Deer-Tick/Dog tick and a Wood-Tick. Deer-Ticks, are the ones that "may" carry the Lyme disease. I routinely get Wood-Tick and you always have to check yourself when you get back home. ..... ;)

You local DNR tracks local infestations and given all that, you take your chances when you go out and that's par for the coarse. .... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The important question- can lime disease be cooked out like most other viruses/bacteria? That's what I want to know

Originally posted by P71pilot

The important question- can lime disease be cooked out like most other viruses/bacteria? That's what I want to know

Why, are you going to eat the ticks you pull off you? Deer don't carry the disease, the ticks do. Deer don't even need involvement in the cycle for the disease to progress. White footed field mice are the Typhoid Mary's of Lyme Disease.

Deer dies. Blood quits flowing. Carcass cools down. Ticks leave. As near as I recall, maybeso within an hour or thereabouts.

(Had to ride back to hunt camp in close proximity to a field-dressed buck, one time, and found that I had more friends seeking visitation rights than I wanted. :D)

Get to know your ticks

The internet is full of information on Ticks. Our DNR puts out a printed card showing the difference. The times I have found them on deer, they were located in the crotch areas where they can be nice a warm. Just brushed them off. Most were Dog/Wood Ticks. They move very slowly and they are not easily felt while they crawl. I have found that they take their sweet time in finding the right spot, to anchor. Once found one in my belly button, while showering. Not a problem as it was a Wood Tick. Fleas are a different story as they are fast and bite quicker. Many moons ago as a child, I found a puppy that was infested with them. Tried to save him but eventually the puppy died. .... :(

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/ticks/

Be Safe !!!

I am dealing with a chronic case of Lyme in my family. Ticks, at least in Lyme territory need to be respected as a real threat. I have done a lot of research into Lyme and I'm not aware of any cases where the disease was transmitted via venison. As far as I know deer carry the parasite that gives us Lyme without actually getting Lyme.

According to my doctor my dog is a bigger threat to me than deer because even though I treat him Frontline he still can bring ticks into the house. I consider a hung deer to be a minor victory in the Lyme war. But keep the rodents on your property in check too, they're a bigger threat than deer. They carry the young ticks that you rarely notice.

Again, deer do not need to be in the cycle and while they may host the Lyme disease spirochete, they generally are not the major cause of the disease. The majority of humans are infected from ticks at the nymph stage, in the spring, when the ticks have yet to feed on a deer. These nymphs are very small and hard to spot. In order for them to have the disease they had to obtain it from a host(i.e.most likely white footed field mice) the previous fall. The adult ticks we generally see on deer in the fall, are a relatively small threat to humans because they are easy to see.

img-lifecycle.gif

I live in an area where lyme disease is very common with ticks. The best solution I can offer is use a permethrin based spray(Wal-Mart sells one in the sporting goods area. Sawyer makes it.). Once dried, it is good on your clothes for two weeks, and will kill ticks on contact. Do not place it directly on your skin, and let it dry before handling without gloves. It is completely odorless. I put it on my bow hunting clothes(as well as Turkey) and have seen ticks land on me and fall over dead within seconds.

Back