Tickled Pink

rbf420

So i went to the range today with my M1 and about 75 rounds of hand cast boolits threw up the target at 300yrds for kicks and had at it... i was very suprised to see my shots hiting roughly 30% of the time, would have been better if i had discarded some of the boolits that were deformed and had the wind not been blowing around 10-15 mph. I'll have to go back with a good batch and no wind to see over all. i thought cast boolits were really only effective 100yrds out so im a happy caster today! :D

Any range time is good time, even if you do nothing but make some noise! :) How did your bullets perform as far as leading goes?

yea after about 70 rounds it was kinda bad i know im really pushing the velocity, im using thompsons blue angel lube its really hard with gas check, the grain is about 160 using 30 grains of H4198. but overall the leading i can deal with its not too bad. i want to make them as accurate as possible so ive been case trimming and primer pocket cleaning, is there anything else i can do? perhaps something with cast boolits that i dont know of?

I want to make them as accurate as possible so I've been case trimming and primer pocket cleaning, is there anything else i can do? perhaps something with cast boolits that i don't know of?

From what I can see, you're talking about a M-1 garand? What was the alloy? How hard is it?

According to my Lyman 48th edition, 30 grains of IMR-4198 should develope around 2090 fps for a 160 gr. bullet. For that kind of velocity, you should have a fairly hard bullet, nothing less than 18 BHN. Also, the bullet should be sized .001 over and above bore diameter.

Lots of casters get good accuracy and no leading in the Garand by paying attention to those details. Shooting bullets with poor fill-out or rounded driving bands only exacerbates the problems.

Back