Thumb seating bullets for single shot

stubbicatt

I'm still learning quite a lot, and enjoying it very much. Shot a BPCR years ago, and sold it, something I regret.

Starting into it again with 45-70 this time. With fire formed cases, thumb seating bullets is pretty easy. I have noticed a sort of pneumatic phenomenon however. When I seat a bullet firmly on the wad (over a compressed powder charge) the bullet sort of pops back up. Thumb it down again, it pops back up, due to air trapped beneath it. I sort of have to hold it in position for a little while and wiggle it around a little bit in a sort of circular motion with my thumb for it to come to rest fully seated, before applying a crimp.

It is sort of funny. :)

A little more neck tension maybe? I'm not familiar with loading the 45-70 so am just curious. Can they be neck sized slightly so the slug stays put until you crimp?

Sure, one can do it that way. But thumb seating is fun, and different, and no chances of smooshing it during the seating process. It is cool.

stubb: Leave them as they are....load them and they should center themselves in the throat, and help with accuracy.

WILL, just WILL.

Back