Thumb-break in holster; poining up or down?

rahul_does

Inactive
Hello,

*ALL* the holsters that have seen have the titch-button's flap/thumb-break pointing up. One has to push it down with the thumb for it to disengage and then draw the handgun up.

CC31FD84-B233-486C-961A-869AF0A6C26B.jpg

Why don't we have thumb breaks pointing down? Won't it be easier to draw? One swift draw in one action! Grip the grip, break open the button with your thumb and PULL!

09D0DB27-B35A-4635-81DA-16C02FE60D68.jpg

I am sure that there are pretty valid and practical reasons for it to be in the present form, pointing up, necessitating the two stage action. Only, I am unable to see them.

I have seen a beauti, Tom Collins with the thumb break pointing down. Do I buy it or ask them to change it? They are going to make a custom one for me without the metal IWB clip, anyway.

An early response would be highly appreciated as I am going to buy it on Monday when they make the one-off piece for me.

Ra.

The general consensus is that the push down thumb break is the more ergonomic design. There are a number if hunter style holsters that have the pull up style retention straps. They are not designed for speedy access. I understand your thinking but the free market thinks differently.

The first type is MUCH, MUCH easier to unsnap with your thumb. With the 2nd type, you've got to get your thumb underneath to unsnap (particularly if the snap is tight). With the first type, your thumb just "flicks" it and it's open.

However, like ice cream there are differing opinions of which is best. I like the thumb snap, it is easy and quick to snap off with a downward motion of the hand, but, with practice it is very quick and easy to unsnap a regular snap with the back of your thumb on a upward motion of your hand, the drawing motion, if your hand is down by your side, it is a very natural motion. I have seen both in action and I could tell no difference on speed of draw. I really think it is just a mater of personal preference. However, for police work it is not as secure when playing keep away. Just MHO and 2 cents worth.

The thumb snap is much faster and easier to work. You open it with your thumb even before gripping the butt, on the downward motion to grasp and pull upward.

Try them both and see for yourself.
The top break, (pointed up) version is much faster and allows for a better grip on the gun, without having to reposition the hand during the draw.
Try it.
And welcome to the forum.
So, how hot is it where you are, today?
What language is the newspaper in your post?
We have questions, too.

Last edited:
Monday Blues.

The artisan is on leave so I will get it tomorrow.

To make things clearer, the metal clip will go. The button that we see is on the outside of the holster. I will post more photos with simulations. Presently, have edited the original photo.

I am thinking, I shall get one made with the general consensus method, and one with their own style and see for myself, over time, which one suits me more!

But, the consensus wins!

Thanks a tonne for all the responses.
My rejoinder to the most encompassing one,

1. Try them both and see for yourself.
    Shall do, Sir, YesSir!
  2. The top break, (pointed up) version is much faster and allows for a better grip on the gun, without having to reposition the hand during the draw. Try it.
    I shall post photos that will show my point of view more lucidly.
  3. And welcome to the forum.
    Thanks a tonne.
  4. So, how hot is it where you are, today?
    New Delhi. Desert Coolers are being used to keep the transformers cool so that the air-conditioners can work. Hope that answers, cogently enough!
    colers.jpg
  5. What language is the newspaper in your post?
    Hindi, being written in Devnagri script.
  6. We have questions, too.
    You are MOST welcome!

Great pictures.
The topmost picture could be a thumb break holster of the type usually seen but for a left handed person. I doubt this is true however because there is no belt clip or loop. Typically the stiff vertical stationary strap is against the wearer's body and the flexible strap that is draped over the rear of the pistol (blocking the hammer or just beavertail) is stitched to part of the holster farther away from user.

One advantage of the more common arrangement is that as the thumb pushes down to unsnap the button, the fingers on the grip of the pistol can pull up at the same time giving if need be for enough force. If the arrangement required the thumb to pull up to break the snap, there is a chance that with a stout snap the whole holster and belt would shift upwards as nothing is there to provide counter force. Belts are after all usually easier to pull up than push further down on a given person's waist.

Back