Three S & W Single Actions

McShooty

The single action top breaks were an interesting part of Smith & Wesson history. I wanted one in each of the calibers shown here. Took a while to find. They are: 1) New Model No. 3 Top Break SA .44 Russian 2) SA Top Break .38 S & W Second Issue 3) Model 1-1/2 SA Top Break .32 S & W. All are in excellent condition - the .38 seemed unfired - and all of them shoot.

I suppose everyone else has already made this observation but....

.....I have noted that every old S&W that I pick up has an action which acts like it was made yesterday. They just seem to be tough as nails.

Congrats on collecting your threesome. I agree with Doc Hoy on the durability. I have two S&W .38 Safety Hammerless New departures. One is a Third Model from 1896 and the other is a Fourth Model from 1901.

Both show their age cosmetically. Mechanically, both lock up tightly and shoot the old .38 S&W cartridge without a hitch.

They are just fun guns, and I only paid $75 for one and $106 for the other.

Which was the hardest for you to find? I bet it was # 1 in your pictures.

IMHO, the old S&W's were far better made and with better workmanship than the Colts of the same period. And most would serve well yet, if not messed with, though I never suggest using an antique gun for serious purposes.

Jim

Thanks for your comments. I agree the S&W workmanship is the best. I think they must have used the best steel available, also, since they had a couple of very picky Russians keeping an eye on their Russian contract production of No. 3 revolvers. Yes, the top one, the New Model 3 was the hardest to find. You do not see that many and then the price is often too high for me. The earlier Model 3s are really out of sight. I found this one at the Missouri Arms Collectors Show in Kansas city last July. I think it works best to deal with the owner across the table, in person.

Back