Threat Level IV Body Armor

I'll dig out the information. I seem to recall they will stop all a III will along with 30-06 AP's and the like. I will try get you the straight gouge.------------------
C
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

I don't think a Level IV will stop rifle bullets, either .223 or .308 or 30-06. On level that one should wear, it should generally be that which will stop the bullet carried by the user. Concealment, cover and letting someone else go first generally works for this coward. ;)

http://www.nlectc.org/txtfiles/BodyArmorStd/NIJSTD010103.html

2. CLASSIFICATION

Police body armors covered by this standard are classified into seven types, by level of ballistic protection performance.1 The classification of an armor panel that provides two or more levels of ballistic protection at different locations on the ballistic panel shall be that of the minimum ballistic protection provided at any location on the panel.

As of 1987, ballistic-resistant body armor suitable for routine full-time wear throughout an entire shift of duty is available in types I, II-A, and to a limited extent type II (depending largely upon the climate) which will provide protection from common handgun threats. Type III-A, which will provide protection from 9 mm submachine guns and 44 Magnum handguns using the test rounds, and types III and IV, which will protect against high-powered rifles, are normally considered to be special purpose armor most appropriate for use during tactical operations. See appendix A.

2.1 Type I (22 LR; 38 Special)

This armor protects against 22 Long Rifle High Velocity lead bullets, with nominal masses of 2.6 g (40 gr) impacting at a velocity of 320 m (1050 ft) per second or less, and 38 Special round nose lead bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) impacting at a velocity of 259 m (850 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against most handgun rounds in calibers 25 and 32.

2.2 Type II-A (Lower Velocity 357 Magnum; 9 mm)

This armor protects against 357 Magnum jacketed soft point bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) impacting at a velocity of 381 m (1250 ft) per second or less, and 9 mm full metal jacketed bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) impacting at a velocity of 332 m (1090 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against threats such as 45 Auto., 38 Special +P and some other factory loads in caliber 357 Magnum and 9 mm, as well as the threats mentioned in section 2.1.

1 The ballistic threat posed by a bullet depends, among other things, on its composition, shape, caliber, mass, angle of incidence, and impact velocity. Because of the wide variety of cartridges available in a given caliber, and because of the existence of hand loads, armors that will defeat a standard test round may not defeat other loadings in the same caliber. For example, an armor that prevents penetration by a 357 Magnum test round may or may not defeat a 357 Magnum round with higher velocity. In general, an armor that defeats a given lead bullet may not resist penetration by other rounds of the same caliber of different construction or configuration. The test ammunition specified in this standard represent common threats to law enforcement officers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.3 Type II (Higher Velocity 357 Magnum; 9 mm)

This armor protects against 357 Magnum jacketed soft point bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) impacting at a velocity of 425 m (1395 ft) per second or less, and 9 mm full jacketed bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) impacting at a velocity of 358 m (1175 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against most other factory loads in caliber 357 Magnum and 9 mm, as well as the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 and 2.2.

2.4 Type III-A (44 Magnum; Submachine Gun 9 mm)

This armor protects against 44 Magnum, lead semi-wadcutter bullets with gas checks, nominal masses of 15.55 g (240 gr) and impacting at a velocity of 426 m (1400 ft) per second or less, and 9 mm full metal jacketed bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) impacting at a velocity of 426 m (1400 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 through 2.3.

2.5 Type III ( High-Powered Rifle)

This armor protects against 7.62 mm full metal jacketed bullets (U.S. military designation M80), with nominal masses of 9.7 g (150 gr) impacting at a velocity of 838 m (2750 ft) per second or less. It also provides protection against threats such as 223 Remington (5.56 mm FMJ), 30 Carbine FMJ, and 12 gauge rifled slug, as well as the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 through 2.4.

2.6 Type IV (Armor-Piercing Rifle)

This armor protects against 30 caliber armor-piercing bullets (U.S. military designation APM2), with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr) impacting at a velocity of 868 m (2850 ft) per second or less. It also provides at least single hit protection against the threats mentioned in sections 2.1 through 2.5.

2.7 Special Type

A purchaser having a special requirement for a level of protection other than one of the above standard threat levels should specify the exact test rounds and minimum impact velocities to be used, and indicate that this standard shall govern in all other respects.

E_Wok is right on. I found the table in my last vest. As a note, the IIIA is the highest normally worn conceled, both the III and IV are plates added to a IIIA vest, or tactical vests. Here is what my strike plate says,
III- 7.62 Nato M-80 2750fps, 30.06 psp 180gr 2700fps, .30 Carbine 110 gr. 1950 fps, 12 ga Rifle Slug 1oz. 1550, .223 ( 5.56 ) FMC 3075fps, 7.62X39 Ball 2400fps

I found in TSS manual that IV plates are listed as follows:
IV- 30.06 A.M.-2 2850fps, 7.62 Nato a.P. 2750 fps,30.06 PSP 180gr. 2750 fps, SS109 FN Nato .223 ( 5.56mm ) 3090 fps, 7.62 X 39 Russian / Chinese A.P.I. 2550fps.

Hope that helps,
Stay Safe,
C

Back