Threading a Mossberg 590 for Turkey Choke

AJP1976

Inactive
I've seen almost similar posts and I've asked around a number of gun shops in the Columbus, OH area but I've come up with nothing on this. Is it possible to smith the Mossberg 590 to accept chokes? Or does Mossberg make a threaded 20" barrel to receive chokes? Some of the gun smiths have said it takes special tools that they didn't have.

The reason I ask is that my uncle gave me his and rather than it sit in a gun safe, I wanted to use it for turkey hunting since some of those guns run a shorter barrel (i.e. Remington 870 sps, Mossberg 835 Turkey Thug, etc.). As for cost, I wouldn't mind spending a bit if it meant being able to use it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I apologize if I'm repeating another thread or this isn't the right forum (I'm new to The Firing Line).

Yes, so long as the barrel has sufficient thickness that the reaming and tapping process doesn't leave basically nothing at the muzzle.

Have you already verified that your 590 doesn't have a threaded choke?

There was a thread around here about a guy threading barrels for $55.

The barrel is not threaded. I did take it to two different gun shops and called three more but none of them do that work. Doesn't that seem odd?

Do either of you know where I could find out how thick the barrel needs to be to thread it or would a gun shop have that info? Thanks for the help.

The 590 comes with two barrel thicknesses: thick enough and even thicker.

You should have no problem finding a gunsmith who can do it, but it's not something you can expect any random gunshop to be tooled up to do.

I'd recommend Mike Orlen also, he has an excellent reputation on http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/. See link above.

Be sure to put a LONG dowel in the mag tube to limit the shot capacity to what your state requires before you go hunting.

Last edited:
I threaded mine and had plenty of metal. I used a extended door breaching choke on mine. Not sure why but I did.

I used a extended door breaching choke on mine. Not sure why but I did.

I'm not sure either, unless you're the member of a SWAT team specifically charged with breaching doors. Otherwise it's just pointless extra length that will catch on anything it touches.

It makes no sense at all on a home defense gun, unless you think there's a chance you'll need to blow open the doors to your own house.

From the inside. ;)

If it's at least about 855" od, you should be gtg.
The phone won't let me put a period in front of the number.
We do that work, but not for $55. I suggest you call whoever that, since I don't even know anybody around here does it that cheap.

It makes no sense at all on a home defense gun

You're right ,Thats why its not a home defense gun. I have 3 others for that. I just wanted to see how it would look and I can swap it out anytime I want too.

mike orlen threaded my rem 20ga barrel for 55.00 plus return shipping, great job. google him on the net.eastbank.

Back