Threaded Barrels and Contact Shots

seeker_two

Just a weird question from watching a Garand Thumb video.....

With the extra length of a threaded barrel protruding from the slide (with barrel nut or flash hider attached), would the pistol be less likely to be pushed out of battery for a contact shot than a pistol with a standard barrel?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don’t remember who it was but there was a manufacturer a few years ago that extended the barrel past the slide and advertised it as such. Whether it actually worked or not I have no idea.

Maybe “less likely”... but no. The barrel will still be pushed far enough to the rear for the hood to drop and the pistol to disconnect.

At least with my G19 and my M&P. Both factory threaded.

Screwing any of my cans on does not change it. They still go out of battery if pushed into something.

With the extra length of a threaded barrel protruding from the slide (with barrel nut or flash hider attached), would the pistol be less likely to be pushed out of battery for a contact shot than a pistol with a standard barrel?

No, it will not be less likely. If anything it will be more likely simply because the longer barrel sticks out farther.

And this also applied to 1911 pattern guns with a compensator /brake that is part of the barrel bushing which extends past the barrel,

On a tilt barrel gun, push the barrel back enough and it moves the slide until it unlocks. Push the slide back and it moves the barrel, until it unlocks. Either one should activate the disconnector and not allow the pistol to fire.

I don’t remember who it was but there was a manufacturer a few years ago that extended the barrel past the slide and advertised it as such. Whether it actually worked or not I have no idea.

Are you sure you’re not thinking of the guide rod for the recoil spring? Some designs, I think the XD series, have a guide rod that extends slightly passed the front of the slide and as such are harder to push out of battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way this would be less likely would be if the barrel is fixed to the frame, or doesn't reciprocate when the slide retracts. I believe Hi-Points are made with fixed barrels. .22 LR conversions for 1911 pistols typically use the slide stop to pin the barrel in position, and the Rock Island Baby Rock .380 (and the older LLama pistols the Baby Rock is a clone of) have non-reciprocating barrels.

Back