• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Thread Symbols

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm just curious....

what is the difference in meaning between this:
thread_lock.gif

and this:
thread_dot_lock.gif

I searched around in the FAQs and whatnot but found no answers....

I see them both on sticky locked threads and non-sticky locked threads...

I'll go a little further with the explanation since a bit of history is involved.

When TFL was started about 11 years ago, Rich wanted to personalize the thread/post images. The standard vbulletin image for a thread in which you have posted was an envelope with the arrow like the one in the locked thread image. He made that into a post sight type of image. The vb image for a thread in which you hadn't posted was simply the envelope, he made that into a bullet hole image.

However, he didn't change the images for locked threads and that is why the arrow isn't a familiar device. If the original images hadn't been changed, you would have seen that arrow/envelope combo next to many, many threads (and it would have been in the legend).

That's makes more sense. I suppose that if I ever bothered with any other forums then I would probably have been able to figure that out.... but I spend all my time on TFL....

Aren't you guys lucky!

Feel free to lock this before you're tempted to answer that....:D;)

Back