Thoughts on vx 3l 3.5-10x50 boone and crocket

stillquietvoice

I am getting a my second Leopold soon would appreciate your thoughts on this optic and a recommendation on which rifle to mount it on and why. I currently have a m 11 savage 223, a rem. 700 in 7mm-08 and a savage m 11 in 308.

I'm a big fan of the VX-3, in general. But I have some questions:

What do you use those rifles for?

Why the Boone and Crockett reticle?

Kind of moot since it's been discontinued according to Leupold's site. However, that reticle was a marketing thing for the Boone & Crockett Club.
Mind you, if you've found an old stock one in some shop, it'd be best used on a varmint rifle. Field of view on 10X is 3.70 meters at 100 yards. Weighs about a pound.

Scope is fine. The B&C reticle is simply their version of a BDC type reticle that also allows for some wind drift. I really like reticles with multiple aiming points, but this one is just too busy for my tastes. That doesn't mean it is bad, just my personal preference.

I wouldn't want a 50mm objective on a hunting scope. They help slightly in low light, but only when the scope is set on 9X or 10X. On any lower magnification, or more magnification a 40mm objective does exactly the same thing. And the 40mm objectives cost less, weigh less, and are easier to mount low on the rifle.

Not enough info to say which rifle it would be best on.

I have two and like them, one is on a rem 700 in 7mm08 and the other one is on a light rem 700 in 3006. plain thin duplex.

Sorry for absence work family and home repair occupied my time yesterday.
I found it in a small local shop, it's the last one he had.
My guns are used for informal target shooting most of the year in preparation for hunting season
Practice builds confidence and skill want to varmint hunt bit work 6 days a week.

Price is good for a quality piece of glass. The 50 MIL. objective has an inverted semicircle to allow mounting low like a 40 Mil.

Back