Thoughts on the Remington 1866 Revolving Rifle

BlackPowderBen

Hi folks,
I've been thinking about getting a Remington revolving carbine, or a detachable shoulder stock for colt 1851/1860 revolver. I have stumbled on what I consider a good deal on a 1866 revolving carbine. Those of you who own the remington revolving carbine, what is your take on the gun? There is the common problems with this gun, sparks and hot cap fragments close to your face, and the handgun style grip, but these aside, what do you think of it? How accurate can they be? Under 50 yards they seem okay.
Also, is $325 a steal on a hardly used one, I see how much they are at cabelas and midway, but I'm thinking of the black friday cabelas sale, have they gone down to $400 in recent years?
Thanks for your time.

I don't have one but it doesn't have a pistol grip, it has a Winchester lever action style stock with a straight grip.

Mine has performed very nicely for me,,,

Mine has performed very nicely for me,,,
It's easily minute of clay pigeon at 50 yards.

You have to shoot it with the older cup and saucer grip,,,
But that isn't a particularly bad thing.

Yes, you will experience a tiny bit of sparks,,,
Just wear your shooting glasses is all.

As for shooting it with a one handed like a pistol,,,
Yep, it is easily done as with any rifle,,,
But my question i return is, why?

Just curious is all.

I think $325 is not a bad price at all,,,
If someone offered me that amount for mine,,,
I would happily let it go and throw in an extra cylinder.

All in all it's a very fun gun to shoot,,,
It always draws a small crowd at the range,,,
Mine doesn't see much use as I hate the black powder cleanup.

Aarond

Aarond, thanks for your helpful response. I should've made myself clearer, I meant not shooting it one handed, but like a rifle with both hands on the trigger guard other than a regular rifle grip.

Aarond,

I think he was referring to the two handed pistol grip style one is supposed to use with the Remington Revolving Carbine, not a one-handed grip.

OP, I unfortunately don't have anything to add, except that at $325, it's certainly worth looking into. If its condition is good then go for it!

Hello again Ben,,,

I did misunderstand your original statement.

I used the "Cup & Saucer" grip when I used to shoot my Remmie.

Aarond

A lot of off hand target shooters grip rifles around the front of the trigger guard anyway so that's not an unusual firing form.

Don't stick your mits up in front of the chamber.

You could have more than one chamber go off and could blow off your hand.

You could have more than one chamber go off and could blow off your hand.

It would do some damage for sure but nothing you wouldn't recover from. The balls exiting the chambers not in line with the barrel don't have a lot of force. Unimpeded they only go a few yards.

Just look at some of the after dark pictures of black powder pistol shooting and you will get the idea where not to have body parts.

That is a good price today. If I got one I would probably shoot it with my conversion cylinder. Never heard of a conversion cylinder having a chainfire.

I shoot mine with a Howell's 45 Colt conversion cylinder. Accuracy is pretty good at 50 yards. Nothing to write home about, but I would take a deer with it at +- 50 yards.

Thanks for the responses folks. IMO I shoot my Remington New Model Army fairly well, with the longer barrel and the stock I figured I could get good accuracy at relatively long range. It also would be a fun gun to plink with it seems.
So you're saying this is a good price?

Last edited:
Back