Thoughts on Taurus G2C 9mm

I have a love/hate relationship with the Taurus G model pistols. Hated the G2S, low capacity, a few stoppages, and the sights would never hold zero.

The G2C was better, but really felt cheap, even at its low price. Nothing especially bad or good about it. Very reliable for me. I think I put 600 rounds through it without cleaning before I had a feeding or extraction problem. The problem went away after cleaning.

Then came the G3. That gun feels great in the hand, higher capacity, full size grip, but still concealable, I shot that gun very very well. Overall, nice gun for the money. 100% reliability. I would trust it. The G3C I had the same experiences with. The one draw I can think of is how aggressive the grip texture is. Now, it is great for controlling recoil and shooting faster, but not so great for inside the waist band carry. Even through a T-Shirt the texture was so sharp and aggressive it was painful to carry at 3 o'clock. I solved this with some 220 grit sandpaper. I sanded it slightly with the sandpaper and knocked down some of the sharp points. This provided a vast improvement.

The G2c is an ok gun. I don't recall having any issues with it. The finish Taurus uses will wear out quickly if it is being removed from a holster often or used hard.

I will say, I find their choice for a double/single action striker fired gun interesting. Occasionally I will get a few primers in 9mm cases loaded on my progressive that are not fully seated need a second strike. The ability to hit the primer again without cocking the pistol could be the difference between life or death when using a gun for defense. Sure, racking a round is probably a better bet, but it is slower than pulling the trigger again. Assuming you will be frightened and intend to fire more than one shot anyway, and that was your malfunction, I could see it being a good choice. However, I really wish companies would move closer to a fully cocked striker design like the Walther PDP or Canik TP9. Still though, at the price range of that Taurus you can probably get a Canik TP9 for a few dollars more. The Glock 43x might be a good option as well I would choose over the Taurus. They are about $150 more though. The Glock 43x and Canik TP9 are better pistols than the Taurus G series in every conceivable way.

Shoot, I got to ranting again. The G2C is a decent gun for the money. But there are superior guns for a small increase in price.

In all the years that I have been buying and shooting firearms I made two mistakes. Both were Taurus firearms, a TX22 & a G2C. The TX22 was a total nightmare, the G2C was fair at best. Buying from the worst firearm company in terms of repairs, customer service and total non communication was a big eye opener.

I have a pt111 g2 mill pro (precursor to this model) and it's a good pistol for taking to the range and also a night stand gun. While mine has been extremely reliable, in my experience the finish isn't up to carrying every day. The gx4 is a different story. Much higher quality feel, the finish is better too although time will tell how well it stands up to something like a Shield or HK.

I have not owned a G2C.
I wouldn't buy one, based on past Taurus experience.
But they are my local shop's bread and butter. They average sales of 6-8 G2Cs per day, and order in lots of 300+ at a time.
G2Cs usually outsell all other handguns, combined; and sometimes outsell all other firearms in a given day.

A lot of people buy them for various reasons:
"Pretty colors"
Cheap
Cheap
Various colors
Cheap
Many colors
Cheap

And also the price point.

Having talked with the shop owner many times, the common buyers are often female, but usually in one of the primary categories regardless of gender:
- First time buyers: "I just want a gun to protect myself." And they don't know any better.
- Tackleboxers: "I am going to treat this like the hammer I got for my 4th birthday. Why spend good money on something better."
- Cheapskates and young buyers: "It's all I can afford. I would prefer a Glock or Springfield, but they aren't in the budget."
- It's fer muh wife: "The wife wants a gun, but I ain't buying somethin' nice. She'll just lose it or try cleaning it with bleach."

"Pretty colors"
Cheap
Cheap
Various colors
Cheap
Many colors
Cheap

Having talked with the shop owner many times, the common buyers are often female, but usually in one of the primary categories regardless of gender:
- First time buyers: "I just want a gun to protect myself." And they don't know any better.
- Tackleboxers: "I am going to treat this like the hammer I got for my 4th birthday. Why spend good money on something better."
- Cheapskates and young buyers: "It's all I can afford. I would prefer a Glock or Springfield, but they aren't in the budget."
- It's fer muh wife: "The wife wants a gun, but I ain't buying somethin' nice. She'll just lose it or try cleaning it with bleach."[/QUOTE]

Best Taurus recommend post I've seen. Gave me a good laugh and oh so true. Thanks for posting it.

My G2c was good. It's extremely similar to the Glock 26. They can even use the same holsters. Mine worked just fine.

I kept the Glock and traded the Taurus because I liked the Glock trigger better, but there was nothing wrong with the Taurus.

"Pretty colors"
Cheap
Cheap
Various colors
Cheap
Many colors
Cheap

- It's fer muh wife: "The wife wants a gun, but I ain't buying somethin' nice. She'll just lose it or try cleaning it with bleach."

Best Taurus recommend post I've seen. Gave me a good laugh and oh so true. Thanks for posting it.
I would see that as describing SCCY and not Taurus.
Different tools from the toolbox for different purposes. My favorite pistol is my CZ 75-Sp01 that was built and tuned by Angus Hobdell. Would I carry it fishing? Ride it around on the Catloader? Bang it around in the dump truck? No! A cheap pistol fits that bill much better.

My G2c was good. It's extremely similar to the Glock 26. They can even use the same holsters. Mine worked just fine.

The Glock 26's grip is short enough to be marginal for me. The G2C's grip is enough longer that I can get a good enough grip on it

I kept the Glock and traded the Taurus because I liked the Glock trigger better, but there was nothing wrong with the Taurus.

Both equally annoying, IMHO.

Back