thoughts on pistol backstop...

I have my own rifle & pistol range... the pistol back stop is currently several steel 55 gallon drums, filled with dirt, & bolted together, with a pair of 6 X 6's bolted to the back of them where the barrels bolt together, & there is no barrel diameter thickness... the base is 2 barrels deep, & 3 barrels wide, & 3 barrels sit on top of the back 3, giving me more height...

this has worked well for many years, but the "hot spots" have been shot out enough, that the dirt is draining out, & I'm starting to get some over penetration, which isn't a huge issue, as the bullet travel down the rifle range, but the bullets passing through will damage my trees down range...

been thinking of bolting old rubber tires together & filling them with dirt... I think that set up would last longer, but would suspect I'll get a lot more ricochets, & as a rifle back stop it might not be an issue, but I worry that if used as a pistol back stop, it'll be less than ideal ( generally larger diameter bullets, traveling slower, & with the shooter standing closer )

any thoughts, from shooters who have used similar, & or other durable suggestions

current backstop...

Why so high? Bet you never hang a target on top barrels. In my yard, I used 12" cribbing. Cut them 4' lengths and stacked them 4' high. They look a lot nicer and have done excellent for about the last 7 years and plenty rifles hitting them. I seem one time somebody had cribbing about 6' high and had sides with cribbingthen they took a tractor buckets of dirt and filled it full. Looked nice but prob every year you need more dirt or re stack it but mine works great. I wish I had pictures, maybe tomorrow if I remember.

so... my barrels are 3 feet high ( each ) the top stack reaches 6 feet... I have a tendency to shoot out the bottom 1/2 of the top row of barrels... just how it works out, standing & shooting level... I suppose I could start shooting down, but prefer the muscle memory of shooting at COM for a normal human target, even if I'm shooting paper plates...

BTW... what is "cribbing"

Possible to get a hold of..

steel plates ( AR type; abrasion resistant), set at a 45 angle to ground and let loose.

Use piping for support, then all bullet deflect down and are recovered for recycling?

Back