thoughts on LCRX .357 3" barrel

dgang

I'd like some input from anybody who owns or has fired a LCRX .357 with a 3" barrel. My wife, who is an accomplished ATA trap shooter, has expressed a desire for a purse handgun. She not acquainted with the many semi auto for sale and insists on a revolver. The wheel guns I have are either too big or require too much hand strength, or of a bigger caliber than she wants to fire. The Ruger ads say the double action requires little hand strength and single action is good. The problem is that none of the local gun shops or ranges have one on hand, they must be ordered. Any thoughts on this revolver would be appreciated.

I own 2 LCR's a 2" and 3" 38 spl. They have wonderful triggers and are supremely easy to carry. The 357 is a bit heavier. More weight than I'd want for a 38 spl only gun but not enough weight for a 357 full power gun.

The only revolver that has a better trigger is the Kimber series of revolvers. They have a light weight 6 shot wheel gun and also an all steel version. Even the all steel isn't pleasant to shoot with full power mags. If I need that kind of power I need to step up to the SP101 3" which has just enough heft for me.

All things considered I think the 38 spl guns are the best all rounders.

i have a ruger lcr-x 38sp, 3”, not 357. i think it maybe too large for typical purse carry. you might find a specially-designed ccw purse that would suitable. it is lightweight thus i prefer to load it with 38sp wadcutters for lower recoil impulse. i bought it at a low price to see if it works for me as a hiking or car gun. it’s ok, but jury is still out.

i had a dao lcr in 38sp and 22wmr, and still have one in 22lr. im not a fan. the trigger pull is necessarily stiff on the 22lr, flashbang on the 22wmr was fantastically distracting, i simply prefer the geometry of the s&w j-frame for a 38sp snubbie.

i tried a cousin’s lcr 327mag, it’s actually fun to shoot in 32long, so i recommend a look-see.

i also suggest a dao s&w 442/642 and swap the grips to something more substantial, which is one of my ccw.

my sister’s ccw is a steel taurus 85 with exposed hammer, she is accurate and happy with it, pink hogue grips and all.

I have the 3" LCRX .38 Special, rated for "+P" loads.

So light weight, it's a joy to carry. The ugly black grips become beautiful once you light off a hot .38 special round. It's MORE THAN SNAPPY! The gun weighs ONE POUND on my postal scale.

Recoil.. I've got a .44 Magnum Blackhawk and went through the whole Hand Cannon phase.. including .454 Casull.

No way would I want to launch a stout .357 Magnum out of a small handgun weighting just a few ounces over one pound. May as well hold a firecracker in your mitts, it would hurt less.

Anyone who thinks .38 Special is some sort of weak sauce, please stand in front of one. No, don't. Someone is always "That Guy" and wants to get on Youtube.

As a field gun, the 3" LCRX .38 special is spectacular. So light you really forget it's in your jacket pocket. Barrel long enough to be aim reasonably. .38 Special loads up to more power than you'd care to light off. The cam in the Ruger gives a nice single action pull.

I am not at all a concealed carry person. I speculate for a purse gun, the 2" LCR .38 would be a better choice. The exposed hammer is going to catch on things. And the LCR could be fired from inside the purse. I am not about stuff like that.

My main concerns are pinecones, tin cans, and maybe a rabid raccoon or something in the fields.

That's is why I'm looking for the 21 oz. .357 using .38s. Recoil should not be an issue. Thanks for your input.

Back