Thoughts on finicky Single Six, any ideas?

JJ45

Hello, Ruger Single Six, 5.5" 22/22 mag cylinders, pre warning.

I have had it for a while, and like other shooters, I come back to certain guns I haven't shot in some time.

I have tried all sorts of ammo.To make a long story short, it will only shoot Winchester 22 mag Dynapoints well! This is relative to RF shooting, I expect at least 1-1 1/2" groups at 25 yards.....This cartridge has a 45 grain PLATED bullet.

It is the only copper plated 22 mag that I know of, others being jacketed, and it is extremely hard to come by even after the panic stages we went through.

Maybe it's just my pistol but the SS convertible is actually a .22 magnum revolver with the .22 RF option, as the bore diameter is sized for the bigger cartridge

My question is does anyone have any solutions. Such as a favorite ammo or "pet" load for their single six... any ideas would be of value, Thanks

I found some Sellier & Bellot 45 gr plated magnum ammo, FMJ at SGAmmo

It is similar to the WW and available which the WW ain't. The only experience I have of S&B is their .45 ACP and 9mm and it's been excellent. I'll give their .22 mag a try.

^ I've come to expect that from a good quality .22 autoloader, buy drilling 6 holes and 6 locking recesses perfectly in relation to both one another AND the barrel presents a problem in a production revolver.

Ruger .22mag -6

I've got a Ruger "Six" as well, with .22/.22mag cylinders, 5.5" bbl. the circumstance on my revolver are that the only .22mag ammo that I can get to shoot to exactly point of aim is W-W 40 grain jacketed variety. The JHP load or the FMJ load both shoot to the same correct zero. All other brands shoot high, high enough that the rear sight will not have sufficient adjustment to bring the impact down to point of aim. Some are close, but the Winchester is best. It also seems to display best accuracy, but I have not shot either W-W load for group.

It's your cylinder causing accuracy problems. Mark the chambers and shoot each chamber five shots for group and POI. You'll find that you have one or more not grouping well and/or hitting to a different POI. Thirty years ago I had one that wouldn't shoot well and I did that. I called Ruger and sent it back. A week later I got it back and it shot great. I took it to the 1990 IHMSA Internationals and shot a 77x80 with it with no spotter! FYI, the specs on lr and mag overlap. It you slug barrels on each caliber you'll find that out over a range of measurements. Your gun is a lr with a mag cyl. Use only std vel for best accuracy. Mine shot best with Eley std vel or RWS std vel. CCI were "OK", but not as good. High velocity simply would not consistently shoot well. Some batches of Mini Mag would shoot fair and some were bad. Good luck.

JJ45,
Are you only interested in .22 mag ammo? Mine is very accurate with the .22 LR cylinder when using CCI minimags. Mine would meet your expectations with either the HPs or the RN minimags.

NoSecondBest...I mark cylinders on all my revolvers since they are all production guns. Actually not mark but use the star or dot on Ruger revolvers as an index and for just the one chamber that is the most consistent. All of my revolvers are Rugers except for one 7.62 Nagant

IAhunter, I would prefer LR but none of them shoot well in my single six. But I do agree that the weapon is not intended to be a "target" pistol....the WW Dynapoint 45 grain magnums shoot very well but hard to get. Again, you cannot have the same bore diameter with a combo gun, it has to be sized for the larger case, but this doesn't mean the smaller won't shoot well, if you can find one.

The trigger is the best of any revolver that I have and somewhat compensates for the longer lock time of the SA...great revolver in all respects, just a little finicky...fun fooling around with it trying to find the best loads.....Thanks for the advice.

Back