Thoughts on CCW change?

9ballbilly

As of now I regularly CC a CA "Classic" 3" bulldog .44spl. I don't have any problems with this gun and like it OK.

However, being a Ruger fan I'm considering selling it and getting a Wiley Clapp 3" GP100 .357 (if I can find one).

Note: I already own both a Security-six and a Blackhawk in .357.

So, in the circumstances listed above, would you make the change?

I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten rid of a gun for another, only to regret it later. However, that is human nature. With that said, the GP 100 IS a great revolver. I've never handled a Wiley Clap variant but I'm guessing the trigger and sights are upgraded over the base. I'd also guess that there will be a higher capacity. I'd always take a Magnum over any "Special". So go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't sell a gun you like. It's okay if you really don't like it. If you do like it, keep it and save for another. You wouldn't gwt much for it anyway.

I like to carry my Bulldog. 44 special is one of my favorite calibers.

Better check the weight on that GP100 compared to the Bulldog. You might really feel any significant difference. I eventually get used to the weight and bulk of a gun.

Unless you get something light and use 'lite" loads in it, you probably already have enough 357 magnums, except maybe a 5-6" GP100 as a range gun. I shot my 5 incher yesterday, and there is really nothing quite like it.

Maybe save up more gun money rather than feel compelled to flip something and then regret it.

Do it for the additional round, easier to find Ammo. I carried a sp101 for the longest and liked it. But I switched to Glocks and the easier to find Ammo won out (9mm). Easier to find Ammo and components are always the right answer. Yes .44 so is cool but so was the .307win. Some places back then didn't carry .357 or .38sp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I'd make a change, but to a Smith J-frame with a 3" bbl. The M36 (.38 Spl) below has been a constant companion for 25+ years. I replaced it several years ago for the SS M60 with the same bbl. length, more for the SS construction than the caliber, (.357 Mag.). Both are great carry guns, albeit with 5 shots instead of 6, but their DA and SA triggers are great, and there's the lighter weight on your hip.

I'm not a fan of Ruger DA revolvers; finding their triggers aren't comparable to a Smith. YMMV, too, it seems that adding a gun-writer's name to a conventional weapon only adds to the price. For me, there's no cachet in a name. They're a bit clunky looking when compared to a Smith...but beauty lies in the eye of the beholder....JMHO, Rod

As of now I regularly CC a CA "Classic" 3" bulldog .44spl. I don't have any problems with this gun and like it OK.

However, being a Ruger fan I'm considering selling it and getting a Wiley Clapp 3" GP100 .357 (if I can find one).

Note: I already own both a Security-six and a Blackhawk in .357.

So, in the circumstances listed above, would you make the change?

In a heartbeat, assuming the size is not an issue for you. Though I'd probably be looking at a SP101 or equivalent.

I own a couple of Security-Six guns and have handled the SP101. I would not recommend the 101 but it might work for some. The GP 100 is a good solid gun and probably a tad heavier than the Bulldog but you should be able to adapt quickly. I would not hesitate to get the GP 100. They are great guns - especially in stainless.

I own and have carried both the 3" Bulldog and the 3" GP100

The Bulldog is lighter than the GP by about 14-16 ounces and is easier to carry throughout the day.

I would just keep the Bulldog and save up for the GP100. Both guns are keepers.

Back