Thoughts on a Savage Model 111 in 30-06

wpcexpert

So for my birthday this year, my wonderful wife buys me a Savage 111 in 30-06 (due to me turning 30 this year). I also don't own a 30-06 either.

I hadn't heard anything about this model, the little bit that I have read today has been good reviews. But I thought I'd ask the greatest collective of firearm enthusiasts on the web. I'm sure several of you either have one, or know someone that does.

Thanks for the inputs.

Shawn

Last edited:
It's a good rifle. I had one many years ago, but had to sell it. Last winter I finally picked up a 111 GCNS in 30-06 to replace it, and this one shoots as good as my old one did, so far it's sub MOA with every ammo I've tried.

Of all of the Savage rifles I like the 110 the best,I do not own one but if I could find one of the older ones I would buy it in a minute.Best looking rifle they ever made.

I've had several Savage 110's and the only one that I was disappointed with was a tactical rifle.The hunting guns were great.In fact the 110 youth model that I have in the safe now will outshoot my Remington 700 BDL Varmint rifle.They just haven't gotten the respect they deserve.You'll like it.

I don't own a Savage but have a long history with the .30-06 cartridge. If I have to start over again tomorrow I'll have a Savage .30-06 in my safe. Your wife did GOOD! You have a good woman there.

I bought a Savage 110 in 30.06 about 20 years ago. It has been the best, most accurate deer rifle I've ever had. It is a true MOA shooter with no mods at all. There are not enough adjectives to describe my utter joy when I behold this gem. It was obviously sent from heaven to complete my life.

30+ years old 110-L

I was born without the use of my right eye. My Grandfather, a huge gun nut, knew that I would have to shoot left handed, so he bought me a left-handed 110 in 30-06. He gave me that gun when I turned 18, and I have been shooting it ever since.

He put a Tasco 4x30 on it, and I put a limbsaver to help with the recoil. They are one of the worst guns out there for recoil, but the pad helps immensely, and the fact that I mostly shoot 174gr ammo through it helps even more. I used to shoot 230gr soft points, but the stuff that you get through the CMP is good enough for target practice, and it's great for recoil.

They are a fantastic platform. You should have lots of fun with that gun, and in my opinion, that you have a fond memory to go with it makes the gun even better. Enjoy.

They're a great "entry level" rifle. I say that term loosely because it is a basic rifle, but quality of build and accuracy isn't compromised. And the .30-06 has been proven ten times over.

She has chosen......wisely.

You got a good rifle. I have used the savage 110 series for 18 years as my primary hunting rifles. The model 111 is the matte finished light weight hunter version of the 110. I think the savage 110 series (including the stevens 200) offer the best bang for buck in new bolt action rifles. Outstanding accuracy and reliability. The .30-06 cartridge is one of the best choices out there. Super versatile with readily available factory loadings to hunt anything on this continent. Tell your wife well done. :)

You got a great rifle. They along with the 110's are pretty reasonably priced for what they are. By that I mean they are usually sub moa rifles that are quality rifles for a price that's not at all out of line. The 110's go for about $400 at Walmart. I know the 111's go for more, but I'm not sure how much more. IMO the 110 is one of the best values out there and the 111 is just about the same only slightly more expensive and a few extras. If you want a sweet shooting rifle in a great caliber you have the correct rifle.

Back