Thoughts on .300 Blackout?

This cartridge has caught my interest. What's everyone's thoughts on it? Does it actually offer an increase in stopping power at close range compared to 5.56?

Other than it's well-suited compatibility to a suppressor and short barrel, why not just use an AR10 if one wants a .30cal AR?

I have run a cpl 300blk rifles (a 9" and a 16") for a bit over a year now. Heres my take on the cartridge

Pros
--VERY efficient in SHORT barrels. I can shoot 30cal 125gn bullets at 2100fps outta A 9 INCH AR upper
--ability to run heavy, subsonic rounds (200-240gn @1050fps) with just a mag change
-- basically an AK round outta an AR platform. Better ergonomics
--Super efficient with a suppressor. Much better then 556
--easy to reload. Brass can be made from 223

Cons
--expensive, hard to find factory ammo
--more expensive reloading components vs 556

Overall, i think the round is a winner. If you want a SBR in a hard hitting cartridge this is the easiest and, i think, the best option

Other than it's well-suited compatibility to a suppressor and short barrel, why not just use an AR10 if one wants a .30cal AR?
They can use the same mags and have the same capacity as .223/5.56 ARs. And recoil would be more manageable than 7.62x51 ammo.

As for using an AR-10 platform, the big advantage in the Blackout is the weight. You cannot get an AR-10 to be as light as an AR-15. And that's coming from someone who doesn't shoot the.300BO. If you do a search, there are quite a few posts on it and some guys who are shooting it a lot.

Does it actually offer an increase in stopping power at close range compared to 5.56?

No. Not if you are using a 14.5" or longer barrel and an OTM bullet and we are talking two legged varmints.

That being said, it isn't any worse either.

Jimro

Well, "Stopping power" is kind of an arbitrary thing.
Do you want to talk energy, momentum, temporary wound channel, or permanent wound channel?
It's much like the dreaded 9mm vs. .45 debate. Do you want a slower, bigger, heavier bullet or a lighter, faster, smaller bullet?

Out of a suppressed SBR, you probably want the .300blk. In a non-suppressed, 16in or longer rifle, I don't think you'll see a huge difference, except in cost.

I have been doing some testing on that round and a Barnes Precision CQB rifle in that caliber.

Here is some history on the round.

http://rangehot.com/round-week-300-blackout/

My review of the rifle

http://rangehot.com/something-old-something-new-barnes-precision-cqb-300-blackout/

and the ballistic test with several factory rounds and some popular reloads is coming up.

Factory ammunition is tough to find and is expensive. As interest gains hopefully the round will get easier to find and cost will go down. I would highly recommend reloading for it. You can buy .223 brass already cut down and use the 300 BLK does to neck the case down to accept the .30 caliber bullet.

The 300BO is good if you want a short range suppressed SBR. But if the target is made of meat there are better choices.

Here's the common AR-15 rounds, all are Barnes TTSX from a 16" barrel with a 100 yard zero:

TTSXTrajectory.jpg

TTSXEnergy.jpg

I like the .300BLK. I don't see it being a permanent fixture but it is a fun little cartridge. Since I already reload for .223 and several .30cal rifles, it wasn't that big of a deal to me to give it a shot. The main purpose for my .300blk is a night time hog rifle. Granted its not suppressed (yet), so it still has a good bit of flash. The other beauty of the reloading part, I also use W231 powder that I already have for several of my autos. It just kinda works for me. Now, its not the first rifle or last rifle I would grab but I still wouldn't feel hindered by carrying it around.

Depends on your reason for wanting it. I wanted to be able to shoot inexpensive cast bullets from the AR platform. 300BLK is ideal for that purpose.

It matters a great deal if you're a reloader or not. It also might make a difference if you own (or plan to own) a 30 caliber supressor.

Because it's lighter / handier. But good question - the suppressor / SBR role is the main thing.

It's too bad the .338 spectre didn't catch on - the big bro of the .300 blk. Serious penetrating power in an AR15 suppressed setup. Maybe it will yet. The reason is that mags aren't same as 556x45 as with .300 blk.

Is it more deadly / better terminal ballistics on violent human aggressors relative to the 556x45? I think the answer is, it depends on barrel length (but roughly the same). In a 16" + bbl, I'd rather have a 556x45, or almost equal. But in a 10 or 12" SBR, where you may lose the yawing/disintegrating effects, I'd take the full-power .300 blk over 556x45 any day.

So that's the dual-role key to the popularity: In one rifle, if you SBR and suppress it, in a VERY light handy rifle, you have two roles in one: Silent fighter, and regular fighter roughly equal in terminal ballistics to 556x45 *for that same barrel length* anyhow (and possibly better in the intermediate barrier penetration department).

If you don't SBR and suppress it, the .300 Blk makes little to no sense. Particularly if it's not even SBR'ed at least. So, if willing to do NFA stuff, .300 blk or 9x19 make nice handy carbines. M4gery or longer, 556x45 or other chambering is the way to go (6.8, 6.5, etc.). If you want a 16" or longer .30 cal AR15, the .30 RAR has more oomph. But then again, why would you want that, when the 6.8 spc and 6.5 grendel are superior to any .30 cal AR15 for most purposes, in a 16"+ bbl?

Oh, and add a Slide-Fire doodad if that's your thang, and you've got one neat rifle - how's about a full-auto, suppressed, super-handy SBR with a 200 gr .30 cal bullet that's still pretty flat to a good 125 yards? Not too shabby if you can afford to shoot such. Only thing better would be same in .338 spectre with 300 gr .338 Sierra SMKs!

Oh, but as others have mentioned, that's the theory - but back to reality - if you don't handload, good luck finding ammo!

Last edited:
Back