Thoughts on 204 Ruger for plinking short to mid range.

zanemoseley

I'm getting where I have several nice competition rifles but it would be nice to have a fun rifle that doesn't weigh a ton, also want something larger than 22lr.

Some would say go 223 but I'm going to have them in AR's, also if I get a 223 bolt gun it will be hard to not get a long range beast built up for shooting high BC Berger bullets possibly in competition.

I've always been intrigued by the "laser beam" calibers shooting over 4000 fps. Also I can shoot the Hornady VMax and Zmax bullets as cheap as $.13 each, loaded cost right at $.30 which is quite reasonable.

I don't hunt but the Savage lightweight varmint rifle looks to be about what I'm looking for in size and weight.

So is 204 get me .5 moa accuracy with low recoil out to say 300 yards?

I once went looking for a .204 Ruger around here. Pretty much every local gun shop asked me "you want a what?". So good luck finding one, you might need to order it online.

A well made 204 should be capable of half moa or better at 300, at least on a fairly calm day at least with a barrel that isn't worn out. 4000+ fps bullets aren't so friendly to their barrels, it will eventually go down in accuracy if you love it and shoot it often.

I have owned, and built several .204s. To me, not worth the slight increase in price for the barrels over .223. .223 barrels will last longer and are more versatile and the wind is not something the .204s do well in.

Look at the ballistics of the 34-40 grain .223 loads. MidwayUSA dogtowns are .12-.15 cents and you can often get closeout and blem on the varmint bullets in .22 as well. I prefer the 50s and just got 2K for $230.

The recoil difference is minimal and the .223 can do everything the .204 can do for a little less scratch.

I was going to buy a new rifle - either a 204 or a 223. Finally I went with the 223. It'll shoot a 35 gr bullet about as fast as the 204 will, and it'll shoot up to 70 grains, which the 204 won't. Plinker ammo is cheap for the 223. Not so for the 204. It just seemed that the 223 was more versatile.

But, after a long discussion, my BiL bought a 204, but he never shoots it.

Back