Thou shalt honor thy listed price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Communism

A friend called me, he recently aquired a NIB Desert Eagle in 50AE, a gun he has expressed no desire to own, I asked why he bought it, and he said because it was new, and only $120. I paused for a minute and asked "120 bucks?" He said "Yeah, 120 bucks."

I sat there and thought about it for a second, and finally asked, "...how?"

Apparently what happened is this. He went to a gun show, and saw a bunch of Desert Eagles in a case belonging to one vendor, most around $1200. Except for one, which was marked $120. He told the vendor he wanted the "120 dollar one," the vendor said it must been a mistake, and he wasnt going to honor the price. My friend told him he was required by law to honor the price, the vendor denied it, friend said he was going to call the police, and the vendor caved immediately.

What would you do in a situation like that?

I would not have ...

pushed it that far. It was an honest mistake obviously out of balance with reality. I definitely would not have threatened the vendor by calling the police.

It was an honest mistake obviously out of balance with reality. I definitely would not have threatened the vendor by calling the police.

+1

Although your friend got one heck of a deal on the D.E., I don't think what he did was right.

If I would have noticed the price I would have just told the vendor he made a mistake and marked it wrong.

Hot gun ...

Sting? You are probably on to something there. I didn't think of that. Maybe he's trying to create a cover story.

Were I the vendor, I'd have told the guy to call the police and bring them over.

I don't know what state you're talking about, but I suspect that the law only applies to computerized inventory items, NOT hand priced.

It never applies to misprints and errors. When I had my FFL, I ran an ad selling Desert Eagles for $750. The newspaper printed $75. I got tons of calls, but no dice.

He's in FL, I'm in NM.

If there isn't a law though, that requires one to honor printed prices, why would the dealer cave in so quickly when he threatened to call the police? I mean, if I didn't have to, I sure as hell wouldn't sell something for 10% of what its worth.

So the seller should have bent over in the case, added the extra zero to the tag, and then it is his word against the other guy if the police actually do come there. I bet that would be real low on the dispatch priority list, to send a cop to a show to see if a price tag is marked wrong. He would probably have to wait all day for that one. Sounds more like a BS story or maybe "hot" like the other guy said. No, more like BS. Even hot guns trade for more than that I tink!

I can't see the seller eating the price like that just to avoid having an officer show up.

Something in that story doesn't add up, and if it did, your friend is...lacking character.

The whole deal is fishy

just the police part by it's self. It is not a criminal event and police are not judge and jury. If it happened as presented a cop would back away and tell the parties it is a civil matter and handle it in JP court. Something is not right about this gun deal on one side or the other.

I really don't buy it, either. The principals you are talking about are English common law.

I'm calling bull on this story...

Just called him back, no gun show, pistol is missing "numbers." Didn't ask where he really got it, I don't want to know,

Won't be talking to him for a long while.

Please lock/delete this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back