Thompsons

Nightcrawler

The Tommy Gun is still in production, 80 years after it was released! http://www.auto-ordnance.com Right now the company is saying they're not making their full-auto models, but they have great civilian versions of both the M1 "GI" style, and the 1928 "Gangster" style, complete with 10-round, mock drum magazines to complete the look. (M1 will not accept drum magazines, for some reason. Could the original M1 Tommy accept a 50 or 100 round drum?) They even have violin-case carrying cases for the weapons! It's great. :)

I have a 1927 (the original gangsta gun) from Kahr/Auto Ordnance, with the real 50 round drum and a heap of mags. My Dillon gets a workout :)

If I recall correctly, the M1 series didn't have the horizontal cuts in the magazine well to accept the drums (mags lock in from the bottom like most other firearms, while the drums sort of slide in from the side).

I really like mine, although my wife keeps wanting to upgrade to a REAL Tommy gun (not that I'm complaining about that, but sticker shock on a Class 3 Tommy is pretty scary).

A

The M1921, M1927 and M1928 Thompsons accepted either stick magazines or drum magazines. The stick mag was the 20 round "XX", and the drums were the 50 round "L", and the 100 round "C". In WWII, the army had 30 round magazines made, which were sometimes called the "XXX" magazines. (The designations, in case you missed it, are simply the capacity in Roman numerals.)

The 100 round drum was not used by the Army and was mostly used with the Model 1921, for which it was set up. Some 50 round drums are marked "wind to 9 or 11 clicks". 9 clicks is right for the 1928, 11 for the 1921, which cycles faster. 100 round drums today are very scarce and bring well over $1000 in good condition.

The Army adopted the M1928 as the M1928A1, but when the gun was simplified to reduce cost and improve production, both the Blish lock and the drum capability were dropped.

The M1927 was a semi-auto Thompson, which is why the modern semi-auto is called the M1927A1. The original M1927, though, fired from an open bolt, not a closed bolt as required by BATF for the modern gun. The change resulted in a need for a very heavy recoil spring since a closed bolt gun cannot take advantage of advanced primer ignition as an open bolt gun does.

HTH

Jim

Back