Thompson Hawken 50

warrior23

OK,I'm new to black powder so here it goes.I picked up a Thompson hawken 50 cal kit.I have to build this gun still, but I would like to know what powder I can use and rounds.Does anybody have a good combination for this gun that I can work with.thanks

Any blackpowder (Goex, Elephant, Wang-o (sic)) will do. I would prefer 2F for a 50. As for combo, you have to find that out for yourself by testing loads and patches & powder charge.

The TC Hawken is a fine rifle. It will give you years of service.

The TC has a 1-48 twist. This is supposed to allow good accuracy with both roundball and conical bullets.

The average TC will be very accurate with patched balls as long as the powder charge is kept reasonable. A ball may not be accurate with very heavy charges.

The conical bullets such as the TC Maxi Ball will be more accurate with heavy charges in most TC rifles.

I started with one of these . . . still have it.

I stuck with Roundball as the recoil was so much more pleasant. What worked for me was around 70 grains of GOEX (Pyrodex worked too) and a pillow ticking patch lubed with bore butter very sparcely. Accuracy and deer killing powder were very good to 75 yards. At 100 yards I though the accuracy was not good enough for me to risk a shot. Higher charges with roundball opened up the group.

If you want to experiment with conicals, stick with full bore ones as the twist won't work with the Sabots.

JPM

Warrior,
I have a TC New Englander .50 w/1 in 48" twist. I use 70 grains of FFF GO powder in it shooting 350 grain conical. Am using FFF because I already have it for pistol. With FF, you can load higher and it is the recommended powder for the gun.

Warrior23,

I have a TC Hawken and it's a great gun. Very accurate. I use 70 grains of FF and round ball too. Good choice IMHO.

Let us know how you did at the range.

Back