Thompson Contender problem

Fast996

Inactive
Hello,

I recently purchased a 219 Zipper barrel and installed it in my frame. The frame is the easy open type. The super 14 barrel I believe has the later style lock. Everything went together fine and the barrel closes without any problem. The hammer cocks back and fires.

When I insert a fired case and try to close the action it looks like the ejector does not move the case all the way into the breech and the action does not close completely.

I have not resized the cases yet. But i'm thinking that the ejector looks to need to move about a 32nd of a inch to seat the case properly.

This can't be a uncommon problem with these contenders. Has anybody had the same problem and if so how was it remedied. Thanks Roger

Don't get hung up on reinserting spent cartridges in you Contender. One
reason they won't chamber is because the chamber is dirty and another
reason is because the spent case needs to be resized to restore the original
dimensions. You can get the same problem with bolt actions too...the BIG
difference being that with a bolt...you have more leverage and it's tough
to feel the restriction.

Change your method of "test"

This can't be a uncommon problem with these contenders. Has anybody had the same problem and if so how was it remedied. Thanks Roger
Well, by measure, this is an uncommon problem or at least one that I have never read about or encountered. I suspect there might be a problem with your test method. Change it around and see it make a difference. One of the most common problems when changing barrels, is that it will not open very easily. ... :confused:

The frame is the easy open type.
Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that your frame is a G2 as oppose to a Contender? Might add that you have a rare and desirable caliber. Once you work the bugs, it should be fun to shoot. ..... :)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Try neck sizing the case...it should help and it will spare the brass unnecessary working.

I have this happen frequently with 7TCU.

Thanks for the replys guys. This is the later G1 frame with the selector on the hammer and the small pin above the trigger. I have a 1st gen gun and it is different. I'm going to look at the way my 1st gen extractor works. I think it could well be the zipper case,and it does need to be resized. The gun opens and closes fine without the case in position,with no undo pressure on the guard to make it work correctly. The part that puzzled me was I couldn't even slam it shut,not that I have had to do that with my other contenders.

And yes the Zipper should be a hoot to shoot,a good match to it's little brother the Bee.

I'd almost bet your problem will go away once you size that brass. Neck sizing won't help, you need to set that shoulder back where it belongs. You should be able to neck size from then on.

Great fun !!!

Unless I missed something, the first issue had a slide-bar on the hammer. The next was a slotted selector and the last one had a selector where you could select between Rim and Center. To date, all of mine have the C&R selector. I also have some G2's but I prefer the Contenders with all it's quirks. .... :rolleyes:

little brother the Bee.
I have one although I don't shoot it often and yes, it's great fun .... :)

Good luck and keep us informed!!
Be Safe !!!

these cases were not fired in the current frame / barrel combination???

if that's the case, I'd suspect a headspace difference between those case's 1st home, & their current one, if that's the case, then as mentioned, the shoulder may need to be set back... & fire form the cases to the new combination

1st Issue didn't have any saftey I believe.
2nd had the slide safety and the pivot pin at the front of the frame.
Easy Opens had the pin where Fast996 said his is and the swing safety/pin selector.

What does it do with a factory round, I guess if you can find one. If not definitely full length resize a case and try it.

Here is a photo of my Bee. My Zipper will look very similiar but with a super 14 tube. The brass weight will be cut a little different and the scope will be a 4.5-14 as opposed to the 3.5-10 on the Bee. A 222 Rem mag is also in the works.

Vern Juenke built the Bee for me back in the 70's a great guy,friend and gunsmith.

DSCN3125_zpst9chsuyi.jpg

Back