Thompson contender for my sw 9mm

Rayssen

Inactive
So have an offer to trade my Smith & Wesson SD9 VE 9mm for a Thompson Contender 30-30. Seems like a no brainer to me to take the offer pending me inspecting it and firing it....just curious about some of yalls thoughts.

Easy trade for you, damn near a must-do. I can even see how the guy on the other end would do it, if he was given the Contender (inheritance?) he may have absolutely no use nor interest in it, it is obviously a very specialized kind of handgun.

Good trade, especially for you.

I like the way, you think !!!

Seems like a no brainer to me to take the offer pending me inspecting it and firing it
Your thinking is sound and if it's a Contender, in good shape, regardless of barrel type and length it's a good deal. Also keep in mind that your Contender is "getting" rare. Ya just don't see too many complete and barrels alone, are in the $200.00+ range. ..... :p

Be Safe !!!

A .30-30 Contender isn't for everyone, and certainly not for everything, but the Contender's strong suit (besides accuracy) is versatility.

I have a Contender, and barrels in .22LR, .22 Hornet, .222Rem, .30-30Win, 9mm Luger, .357Mag, .44 Mag, .45Colt/.410, .45Win Mag and .45-70.

I "wasted" over 30 years not bothering to look at the Contender, because it was "only" a single shot. Then, one day, in a shop, just for snits and giggles, I was handling a Contender, and found it had a really good trigger pull. I didn't get that one, but I did decide I was going to have one of those!

Single aimed shots. That's what it's about. Not pocket carry, or speed of followup. Just accuracy, usually on a level not matched by repeating handguns.

Mass market 9mm vs Contender? Contender, absolutely, as long as you have something else to cover personal defense at need.

What is it ???

Rayssen
You haven't told us just what your Contender is. I "Assume" it's a pistol but then again, it could be a rifle. The last time I used my .30-30 Super-14, I took two Alabama bucks and a Bobcat. This set-up, will torque your hand. Great shooter and performance ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Hey thanks for the comments guys! I will try to get more information on it next time i see the guy. Its the pistol 30-30 i know so far

You must be having doubts about the trade or you would have done it.
Before deciding, you might want to try a round or two in the T.C.
In 30-30, they are very impressive. :)
Unless you plan on hunting with it, it might not get much, if any, actual use.
For reselling though, it would make a very good trade.

Hunting, and the shooting practice for hunting is what the Contender is FOR!

And paper punching of course. And pest control, in suitable calibers.

Even though prices have risen (and will rise more in the future) there are a lot of Contender barrels out there, and getting another barrel is MUCH cheaper than getting another complete gun.

Just be aware, like the old potato chip slogan, you might not be able to stop at just one...;)

Quilty as charged

Just be aware, like the old potato chip slogan, you might not be able to stop at just one...
That is advice that I have always given and have not listened to. Yes, there are lots of barrels out there but seldom sell for less that $200.00. Sure enough, last gun show, I almost walked past one that was calling to me. I paid, $150.00 out the door and is was a caliber that I had been looking for. The Contender frames have pretty much disappeared. I suspect that most have assembled complete and either collected or flipped. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

I talk to him again about the Thompson Contender his dad gave it to him and I don't think he knows what he has but he wants a semi automatic he doesn't like the single shot he wants something for home defense and having fun at the shooting range he don't want to go through all the hassle of trying to sell it. I wouldn't think it'd be a hassle to sell at all anyways I shot it and it works fine looks good great condition I made the trade I'm stoked.

I think the contender or any break open design is well suited for bench shooting, lots of shot to shot movement but it is fun for me.

Also the easiest platform I have to make just about anything I want.

Rifle, pistol, rimfire or centerfire, I just need to machine another blank and lug then weld it in place.

Trade !!!

Rayssen
Trade the darn thing and for starters, ask him to read what is stamped, on the barrel. It might just be a "Super-14". ....... :rolleyes:

By the way, most barrels are interchangeable between the Contenders and G-2s ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back