Thompson Contender 6.5 T/CU ammo ???

MTTCDude

Inactive
Hi Everyone,

My wife just bought me a TC with two barrels. 1. 6.5MM T/CU and 2. .221 REM

I found the .221 REM ammo but had a rough time with the 6.5 T/CU. I ended up getting 6.5MM Grendel ammo. Before I use it I wanted to check to see if that would work? Or other ammo options I can use.

Thanks in advance!

6.5 T/CU is based on the 5.56X45NATO/223 round.
6.5 Grindel is based on the thicker, shorter 7.62X39 Russian AK47 round.
The Grindel probably wouldn't even fit.

Or other ammo options I can use.
Yes, invest in a reloading set up, and get the full potential out of your T/C:D

Cheapshooter is right, I have 3 Contenders and load for all of them. It just adds to the fun!:D

Thanks !

Thanks for the reply! So, there isn't anywhere I can buy my specific (6.5MM T/CU) ammo, I have to make my own?

If you don't want to start reloading, your best bet is to sell that 6.5TCU barrel and use the money to buy a comparable barrel with commercial loadings available.

Graybeard Outdoors has a couple T/C dedicated forums that are very helpful. One a general discussion of T/C handguns, and one a classified buy/sell forum.
If you aren't happy with the T/CU barrel you might be able to trade for something else.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/

I'm pretty sure the 6.5 TCU is virtually identical to the 6.5 Ingram I used to use for IHMSA shooting with my Contender - probably just a few thousandths of an inch difference in taper, or a slightly different shoulder, so the two rounds aren't quite interchangeable.

As far as I know, neither cartridge has been commercially loaded by any of the "big" ammo producers - maybe there's a small custom shop somewhere that does it, but if so, I don't know where. I always considered my 6.5 Ingram barrel to be strictly a handloading proposition.

IIRC, my "best" handload put a 140 grain bullet out of a 15" barrel at just under the claimed 2100 ft.sec, which I couldn't quite hit without getting some excessive pressure signs.

Back