Thompson center Scout 54 Caliber

I have bought a Thompson Center Scout.....in 1990,1991 I hunted with it one time and then I stopped to raise my daughter for 23 years ...still trying to raise her :)...anyway their plant apparently burned down right after I bought the gun....since I was focusing on other things. (gave up hunting) I never knew what happened until recently....I read that TC rebuilt the plant but did not continue with the Scout...(moved on to bigger and better things)....all parts,building equipment were destroyed in the fire....now getting parts and information from TC has been impossible .I tried asking a few questions about the gun (switching out the nipple....getting a new bore plug) and they blew me off.
Not a good way of doing business in my opinion. :mad:
In any case.....does anyone know how to get the breech plug out to clean the gun....I tried without removing and it didn't work very well.
Also....apparently they made the gun with a rifle twist rate of 20 and had issues...when they moved to 36 it solved the issue....any idea on how to find out the twist rate by looking at the gun?

Old tail, beaten to death !!!

I read that TC rebuilt the plant but did not continue with the Scout...(moved on to bigger and better things)....all parts,building equipment were destroyed in the fire....now getting parts and information from TC has been impossible
The fire is true but they have been using that excuse for a long time. The truth is that the life-time repair policy, died with the fire as well. I have not wasted my time with them, for a number of years. .... :rolleyes:

You can still find manuals and you will note that the nipple and plug are one unit. You an still find them but sooner or later, they will be gone. Continue a search on the internet and at one time, I did have a schematic with parts breakdown. :cool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THOMPSON-CENTER-SCOUT-NIPPLES-FOUR-NIPPLES-/281803316111?hash=item419cc95b8f
There was a combination tool for the scout, that I have never seen, other than in pictures. The old cat. number was 9430 .... :confused:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tc-thompson-center-c-scout-takedown-290496824

On twist, I am indicating a 1:38 and 1:20 You can also confirm twist on your own, using a patched RamRod. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Thank you for responding Pahoo...can you clarify about the ramrod and twist rate.....also in your opinion with this design do you have any cleaning tips?
Take Care
Mike

JMHO

in your opinion with this design do you have any cleaning tips?
Well, "personally" I have never cared much for this design and have to admit that I've never really understood it or appreciate it. It's not because it's an in-line , I just don't care for some of the features. I have worked on a couple of them and shot them as well and they were fine. .... :)

As far as determining the twist, if you would, do a historical search in here and you will find the procedure. Basically it's taking a patched rod to the breech end of the barrel and slowly pulling it out over a determined length of travel and noting the turns. You have a 21" barrel so you will not see a full turn on 38" of travel. You will have to do some basic math on this. So measure 19" where you should see a 1/2" turn. ...... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Thanks Pahoo....yes that's confusing....I will search the history.....was hoping for a marking somewhere on the gun noting the twist.....of course that would be too easy :)
Take care

See if this helps ???

Mike,
On short notice, was not able to find a video for an M/L but perhaps this one will give you and idea of the procedure. Keep in mind that the twist in this video is fast and you will have to work around that but the procedure is still valid for all bores. ..... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoCNZBlRGQ

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
To figure out the twist on a muzzle loader use the jag and patch but push it all the way down the bore. Mark it at the muzzle then pull it out until you get one full turn then measure the distance between your mark and the muzzle. Not enough barrel to get a full turn then do a half turn and multiply by two. On an even shorter barrel you can do a 1/4 turn and multiply by 4.

Back