Thompson Center Renegade... Any Good?

Guyon

Anyone here familiar with this rifle?

Turns out my uncle just bought one for $25. The guy who sold it had no idea what it was. Of course, my uncle is always getting deals like this. He bought a commemorative edition Marlin 336 (like new) for $150 a while back. He goes to trade days and keeps his eyes open.

Anyway, I may offer my uncle a little profit and still get a sidelock at a good price.... IF this gun is any good.

Also, any caveats or tips about used muzzleloaders?

They are fine guns.

Since it is used look at the bore. So many people don't clean them. It could be rusted so bad it is worthless.

If it is clean buy it.

The nice thing about buying a used TC gun is that TC wants to help you.

After you buy or (or if you don't) drop TC an e-mail from their web site and ask for a manual. They will send you one. They will still honor the lifetime warranty on all the mechanical parts - not a rusted-out barrel.

Check the barrel by running a tight lubed patch down the bore on a cleaning jag. If the tension stays constant, you are OK. A bore light is better, but not everyone has one. Loose spots are bad news.

If you do need a new barrel, it is around a $150 to $200 problem.

JPM

One other good thing about renegades. Unlike many other T/C models, they have been around a long time, and aren't going away anytime soon. That means parts are available.

Back