Thompson-center Hawken (b.p.)

Juan Hunt Greer

I've agrrd to look at a Hawken muzzle-loader for a friend , who wants to know how to get the breech-plug out for more thorough cleaning. Upon examination, the plug is definitely a seperate piece, but it does not seem to be intended to be removed ever. Does anybody here lnow whether it could be left-hand threaded, or possibly roll-tightened after installation or what???? The owner has already scarred it up a bit trying to unscrew it, but I'd rather no make it worse trying if it is not intended for removal. I tried to find an url for t-c but had no luck, at least with my limited imagination. Thanking You all in advance, crankshaft

Juan, I had a T/C Hawkin in with a badly stuck ball and also had no luck in getting the breach plug off. I called T/C and was advised (if I remember correctly) that the plug is press fit, and would not be something that would easily come apart. It would be best to clean it as good a possible using a brush, soap and hot water and some black powder solvent. Good Luck, John K

------------------
Fight Crime-Shoot Back

The cleanest you will ever get it is probably with an ultrasonic cleaner. Expensive and I don't know of anyone who can personally afford one. Absent that, CVA makes a nifty "PUMP" which pumps the soapy water into the barrel. There's a tube which hooks up to the nipple to handle the overflow which doesn't squirt out the barrel. My uncle and I are very happy with the pump and it does save on scrubbing.

Hi, JK,

That plug is threaded, not a press fit. I think they probably said or meant a crush fit, which means that a threaded part with a shoulder is tightened until the shoulder is slightly crushed. This is the way most rifle barrels are put in.

The plug can be removed, but it takes a special wrench and a barrel vise with the right type of inserts. I do NOT recommend removal of the plug for cleaning. Even a ball loaded with no powder can be removed without taking out the breech plug.

Jim

Thanx, Guys, I had pretty much figure that removal was a no-no on this model. I shall advise my friend as to the CVA pump and He'll probably go that route.
crankshaft

As an alternative method of cleaning, try this...

Since the stock is being removed anyway, get a bucket full of very hot, very soapy H2O. A good cleaning rod, Jag tip, and a tight patch to fit the bore. Then take the Bbl. and submerge the nipple/breech plug end into the water. Take that cleaning rod with patch and use it as a pump to move the fluid through the bore. Works even better when the nipple is removed.

Every one should agree that hot soap and water is an excellant cleaner of Black Powder residue, and it's cheap too! A nipple wrench is essential in the 'Possibles' bag, so that isn't a problem. A helper might be needed to hold the barrel as the bore is being punched, but I think that should just do the trick for you.

Good Luck,
Unkel Gilbey

Jaun, Hnut, Grerer, don't mess with stuff you don't understand. Really, the breech plug is a right hand thread, but it takes a breech plug adapter, sold by Thompson Center, DUH! put the barrel in a padded vice, and then, apply a thread lubricant, and then use the breech adapter, and then lefty loosely, not rightly tightly, unscrew the breech plug. But why did you want to take it off to start with??? You never, ever, never need to take it off for normal cleaning...

Concur. Shouldn't remove the breechplug for regular cleaning. Besides, you can always buy the TC breechplug scraper which fits on the end of your ramrod. That and flushing with hot soapy water will clean out most everything.

BTW, I use Evergreen for soap. Just personal preference mind you.

I never actually had any great desire to undo the plug, the owner wanted to know how. The only b.p. single shots I regularly look through are a double brace (4) of classic arms " New Orleans Ace " pistols, which are of the screw-barrel variety. Thanx again for all the info, fellas, crankshaft.

Back