Thompson Center Contender Carbine

N.Y.G MP Pvt

I just picked up a TC carbine in .223. It came w/ a Nikon Buckmaster 4X no open sights.Can anyone tell me the proper method of loading/operating this rifle? For a single shot it seems a little complicated. This gun is new but I don't have the manual.
#2 How the heck would you mount a sling on this thing?
------------------
"Is it getting bad out there?" "Out where?" The Trigger Effect

[This message has been edited by N.Y.G MP Pvt (edited April 26, 2000).]

Sorry, I can't help you with your problem, but it just hit me: 25 years of shooting every type of weapon I could get my hands on but I've never shot a Contender, and the TC factory is 2 miles from my doorstep!

I think I need me a .45-70 single shot pistol to remedy that situation. :D

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

You are right, the Contender is different in its manual of arms. I would highly recommend that you contact the factory (e-mail tech@tcarms.com) and ask for an owner's manual. They'll provide it free.
I wouldn't try to tell you how best to handle the gun in this forum. But I will say that you will find it to be an accurate light stalking rifle, with a nicely adjustable trigger.
I have a T/C C-C with three barrels: .223, 7-30 Waters and .44 Magnum. Frame, barrels, 'scopes and ammo all fit in a single take-down shotgun hardcase. Neat.
I don't have slings on mine. I would probably use a double loop detachable shotgun-type sling if I needed one. You can get a replacement forend screw with a swivel-loop stud and a screw-in loop for the buttstock, if you want.
--slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Maybe I'm missing something here, or there is a different kind of Contender carbine that I'm not aware of. All you have to do is squeeze the trigger guard, that opens the action. Insert the cartridge, close, hammer must be cocked prior to firing. I always thought they where kind of neat, and fun to shoot, and I'm not really a single shot fan. I've only seen one carbine with a sling, and I can't remember how it was mounted.

qd115tc.jpg

Uncle Mike's has a swivel kit that'll fix up your carbine. I put one on my Contender pistol, it's great. The kit is designed to be universal (fits pistol, carbine, three different forends, 3 - 4 different grips, etc), so you'll have lots of parts left over when your done, cost's around $22. Or, it your carbine has wood furniture you could just buy two plain sling swivel studs with wood screw threads for about 99 cents each.

The one "strange" thing about the Contender is: if you cock it, then uncock it (by pulling trigger and carefully lowering the hammer), in order to cock it again you must first open the action (to reset the sear). This may sound weird and/or complicated, it's not, to me it's second nature now and I don't even notice it or consider it... good, bad, or otherwise. -- Kernel

Thanx for all the info. I'm afraid I'll be posting often about this weapon. One more thing ...is the trigger guard supposed to be so hard to squeeze? It's not really a problem for me , but my fiance can barely squeeze it w/ two hands.

------------------

Thanx for all the info. I'm afraid I'll be posting often about this weapon. One more thing ...is the trigger guard supposed to be so hard to squeeze? It's not really a problem for me , but my fiance can barely squeeze it w/ two hands.

------------------

Yeah, that's normal, they can be real hard to squeeze. You'll get use to it, then you won't even notice. When mine was new I thought it was broken, but that's just the way they are. Now that it's been shot a bunch it's gotten a little easier to open. -- Kernel

When I E-mailed Thompson-Center for an owners manual, they asked for the serial number. You might just give them yours to save time. The manual was received within a week of writing. They were very prompt and cooperative.
Paul B.

Back