Thompson center compact recoil pad help

upstate81

I recently purchased a Venture Compact in 7mm-08. I added a Leupold 2-7x33 with weaver mounting gear. Its a sweet little package and will make a great stalking deer rifle come fall. However after i got the rifle home it seems just a tad shorter than i remembered in the store. Good news is it comes with a 1 IN. shim. (or so) When i add the extra length to the stock the recoil pad that "clicks" into the shim fits up like crap. It looks terrible and cant seem to leave it as is. I can leave the gun shorter because when its deer season its fridgid here and I wear a large parka. On the other hand summer may be a hassel. Has anyone else had this issue and or found a solution. I know ill get the whole call smith and wesson/thompson center blah blah but all that shipping stuff and waiting seems like too much of a hassle. Any fit up solutions? I know its a budget gun but seriously it looks like a 3rd grader fit these pieces up.

If the pad is too big you can just install it, mark around the edges with a razor blade and try using a belt sander to grind it down. Freezing the pad helps.

If it's too small, there's not much you can do.

Why not get a LimbSaver slip on pad rather than using the stock one? Probably is a better pad anyway.

When I Install the shim piece not just the recoil pad, thats when it gets ugly. A recoil pad sort of snaps into a shim looks really uneven and cheap. I suppose i could shape it by hand with a razor. Its slightly more comfortable to shoot with the shim, not a deal breaker though. It just bugs me that i spent good money on this set up and it isnt exactly as intended. Oh well not a huge issue just being picky. I am very excited for this new caliber my first 7mm to own or even shoot. Reloading looks very promising.

Back