Thompson 1927A-1C?

Big Iron

I just picked up a brochure on this carbine. I have absolutely no use for it. However, my gut, heart, and hands want to have one. 45 caliber, 30 round stick mag, semi-auto with an optional 10rd drum magazine. You can also purchase a padded "violin case" for it's storage. Conceal and carry? It almost begs you to buy it and put a sign in the front yard inviting the BGs to come and get it.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this carbine? How are they getting by with the 30rd clip? Talk me out of this! This is worse than new pick-up fever!

------------------
A.T.

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not REALLY out to get you." ;)

No, why talk you out of a wise decision?

If you are talking about an auto ordnance Thompson, go with the M1 rather than the '27.
The M1 has the narrower receiver that'll only take the stick mags, but you aren't going to find any drums that hold more than 10 rounds now, six years after the ban.

The way they are getting away with the 30 round stick mags is the same way as Para-Ordnance - they saw the ban coming, made a bunch before the ban, and are now parceling them out one per carbine.

THERE IS A WAY AROUND THE +10 ROUND MAG BAN!
At least for the M1 Thompson. Semi auto Thompsons have their mag latch cut a half to 3/4" higher than the old full auto mags. There are tons of the old full auto mags around. These REMAIN legal. They fit up into the semi autos, but the cut for the mag is too low and they won't lock into the semi. Got a hand drill?

PS - I bought my semi auto 30 round mags new, pre-ban, and a bunch of them . By the time I found the used full auto mags, I didn't feel the need to buy more, I'd already got mine, and unquestionably legally, so why bother?

But let me qualify my statement above: it *shouldn't*, to my knowlege, be illegal to do what I suggested. I have *never* heard anything whatsoever suggesting that they've made it illegal to do so. But if you do, you're on your own. BATF plays by their own rules, which I've heard tell mean what they, and not the courts, say they mean. They want to know where you got the idea, don't tell 'em it was me.

[This message has been edited by Rusty S (edited April 29, 2000).]

One caveat: these carbines have heavier bolts and longer barrels and weight much more than the original. When I handled one, it seemed awkward by comparison. OTOH, recoil ought to be non-existent. Wonder if it is rated for 45 Super?

Understand about the barrel magazine. The only reason, would be for show. It just looks too cool. I would definitely want a couple of the 30rd sticks too. If I understand correctly, you can change them out. Also, the 1927A-1C is a pound or two lighter with a compensator.

How's the durability and maintenance on this gun?

I've bought all the handguns I need(at least the fever's gone down for now). My next purchase was to be a rifle, and then this drifted into my life. The drooling is embarassing! I don't hunt, but I guess you could with this. Problem would be finding anything left of your kill.

I've always had 1 or 2 guns around, but with the anti-gun fever spreading, I'm rapidly adding to it. My wife thought I'd lost my mind till she shot my new Taurus PT-940. So, I bought "her" a Kahr K40. :~)

Wonder how she'd like a Thompson????

Just lay your new magazine next to the old used magazine, mark the distance from magazine's back bottom edge ( the reference point or datum line for all dimensions are taken from their relation to that point - correct me if I'm wrong, other sheet metal workers )to top of mag lock hole on new mag, transfer distance to old magazine, then drill hole a little too low, put into gun, file, repeat until locks into place. This is shade tree gunsmithing - the hole could be cut with a sharpened ( on a rock ) screwdriver and a rock or lead pipe for a hammer using a tree stump for a workbench. Or a hacksaw, or a file... Trying to remember the name of that town on the Pakistan/Afghanistan border famous for shade tree AK47's and SMLE's.

How available the old mags are I don't know. Check the Shotgun News for availability and cost before you buy the gun.

I too initially had my doubts especially since the fixed post and spot welded sheet metal peep rear didn't promise easy adjustment. I lucked out with the ammo I had. The first shot ( 230 ball )hit w/in one inch of point of aim at 100 yards. Recoil felt like a 22 W.M.R., actually discernable, about like being tapped on shoulder with someone's finger.

Everyone should experience the problem of hitting the mark with your first shot and having 29 rounds left over to find something to do with.

In my area the consensus among gunsmiths I talked to was they'd never seen one with a problem that hadn't been caused by someone trying to make it shoot "faster".

Come on, Big Iron, don't let John Wayne down here!

JOHN WAYNE?? Elliot Ness, John Wayne, plus my own fever. The stress is getting to me. I guess it's back to the gunshop Monday!

Among silly purchases, a 10 round drum has to be tops. Useless as those proverbial protrusions on a male porcine animal.

All the bulk and inconvenience for 10 rounds?

Jim

A silly purchase? I guess that would depend on the reason behind the purchase. That's why they give us the "option".....isn't it?

Thanks for your opinion though.

Back