Thise NICE Uberti grips!

ZVP

What does Uberti use to get that slock and smooth finish on their gtips?
The factory grips are just plain Walnut but that Urithane or Varnish makes them look just great1
I'd like to apply such a high geade finish to all my qooden revolver grips!
Thanks,
ZVP

Don't know what Uberti uses, but you can get a pretty nice finish with Urethane

Make sure the surface is prepared properly. It should look almost as good without the varnish as it will with the varnish.

One coat of Urethane thinned to use as a sealant

Then at least one coat for finish.

There are probly a dozen other techniques that are used successfully, but this works for me.

I have no idea what Uberti or other gun mfgs. do or do not do, but I use to sell finishing equipment to the N.Carolina furniture industry 20 years ago and I can tell you that they don't just put a little Minwax stain and urethane on their furniture. They have some expensive booths and application equipment. They shoot catalyzed varnishes, urethanes and polyester finish coats that cannot be bought at Lowes and I have seen some some finish processes that required a half dozen or more steps in sanding, dying, staining, shading and finishing. A lot of gun manufacturers have very deep pockets. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

my London has a beautiful smooth finish that appears to be resistant to dings and scratches! Looks like Urithame from the smooth finish that looks like it was done in one dip!
Beautiful and smooth to the touch and very pleasing to the eye!
It really makes this revolver a joy 5o handle!
I gotta find out how they did it!
BPDave

I gather they're not using that orange crap anymore? I hated that stuff.

I bought a NIB Uberti '51 two days ago. There is no orange-red stain under the polyurethane. The color is brownish. So I think they abandoned that hideous red at some point.

I use 3-7 coats of True-Oil on most any wood stocked firearms...with beautiful (and easy) results. I re did a Stevens 311 SxS I picked up at a swap meet, several grips for '73 SAA clones and my mossberg 44US target rifle that was BADLY in need of finishing.

I have always stripped Uberti grips and refinished them in either Danish Oil or Lin-Speed Oil. But all I'm going to do with this '51 is cut the gloss with some B-C Stock Sheen & Conditioner.

Last edited:
Whatever Uberti does, the final finish is like glass! Very nice to the touch!
I have tried varnishes, Laquers (the closest to Uberti's) Multiple coats, hand buffed, lightly steel wooled to a flat sheen , then resprayed. aand I was going to try Urithane but manyhave told me it wont shine like I want.
I dunno I still may giveUrithane a try?
I used True Oil in several guns and it's so sticky and messy, it's almost not worth it!
Thanks for all the help!

Tru Oil is actually not an oil finish; it's a wiping varnish. That's why it gets sticky, and that's why it builds up on the surface.

Well, the Stock Sheen & Conditioner didn't dull that hard poly finish, and so I stripped the poly off with Citristrip. The wood underneath is very nice -- quite dark with nice grain. No stain or dye required. Danish Oil will be sufficient.

Back