This was driving me nuts..

David Scott

Sunday, after cleaning a Ruger P95 and a Kel-Tec P32, I found a small spring lying on my work table. Aaaaack! Did it fall out of one of the guns? Yow, did I get stressed. I took both guns apart again, checked that every spring-loaded part was still springing, then went over them again before my brother came along and told me the spring had fallen out of his cigarette lighter.

Duuuuuh!

I once lost a small part. Looked all over, and finally took an hour to make a new one (obsolete gun, and no parts available). The next day, after the customer left with the gun, there was the part right in the middle of the bench??!! I thought I had gone insane until the boss told me it had gotten stuck in his shoe sole and he figured it might be from my bench, so he put it back.

Jim

Most easiest-to-lose gun parts

Recoil spring retaining clip on Browning Buck Mark. It looks exactly like the "c" on your Backspace key, same size etc.

The easiest part to lose is the slide lock spring in a High Standard pistol.

Step 1. Don't read manual.

Step 2. Remove right grip panel.

Step 3. Curse and crawl with magnifier and flashlight.

Since DialONE911 mentioned flashlights, one of the best ways to find small items on the non-carpeted floor is to turn off the lights and shine a flashlight sideways across the floor at floor level such that the center bright spot of the beam stretches out for several feet along the floor. Any objects above surface level will be readily apparent by reflection or by the long shadows they will cast. Trust me, it works. I have found my series 80 firing pin safety's spring more than once this way. I now own a spare as well.

Greetings

I have used double naught spy's method with very successful results (on hard floors). The magnet idea is great too. One thing I do when I use a box to store a disassembled gun is to but a rag in first, put the gun parts in and then fold the rag over. I have some boxes that I have cut a cardboard "bottom" for so things won't get lost in the folds or slits.

Regards

I like to use a clean white rag on top of the bench. Just lay the rag down and as the gun is disassembled put the parts on the rag. When you're done reassembling, there shouldn't be anything left on the rag. (I have to do this: too much other stuff on the bench, and yes I know it's my own fault)

DialONE911: High Standard slide lock spring *chuckle* so I'm not the only one *chuckle* ... just when you think that working on a bunch of newspapers spread out on the floor is gonna help ...

Darn High Standards...

My sister-in-law's Sport King did me that way...

A friend brought me a Winchester 1890 gallery gun disassembled in a box one time... :eek: I returned it to him in the same box... :D

Back