This one might be odd... but there are some pretty knowledgable shooters here...

my retired machinist buddy is looking for some info... the normal internet searchs have turned up what I know already, but no solid new to me info...

he wants to take one of his Mossin's & possibly chamber it in 6.5 Vostok ( 6.5 X 54 rimmed ) it may also be known as 6.5 X 54 Russian Target... seems they were put in Vostok brand target rifles in the 60's & 70's... I think the cartridge was used in converted Mossin rifles by Russia in the 1976 Olympics in the biathalon

one site I found listed the rim & base size, & it was much different than the 7.62 X 54 rimmed, not sure if that was correct or not...

anyone know anything about this cartridge ??? parent case, cartridge dimensions, loading data or ???

just a rimmed version of 6,5x55? my national round:)

a very good round, people call us commies all the time but we didn't really have any cooperation with USSR:p so i dunno how they came about developing

we also used it for biathlon before the switch to .22

Husky (if I may call you by that popular nickname of a famous rifle company), that 6.5x55 round is well known by older international free rifle and biathlon comptitors. It was very popular in Europe for years in 300 metre events. It was a hard act to follow. Especially with Norma's 139-gr. FMJBT nickel-plated match bullet. Friend of mine built one in the 1960's on a Sako action with a match grade barrel that shot very well with that bullet. No bullet made in the USA back then came close.

Too bad there weren't any good 6.5mm heavy match bullets made in the US of A back then else the 6.5x55 may have fared better in competion. Nowadays, the .260 Remington equals it performance wise and excellent 26 caliber bullets are available.

I don't know for sure, but going from a 7.62 to a 6.5, I would think would require a new barrel or sleeving the 7.62.

Does any company make barrel blanks for a Mosin?

yes, the gun would be rebarreled & chambered for that round, it would not be fired in a 7.62 barrel or chamber...

not sure on how many replacent barrels there are for the Mosins ( I'm sure all would be 7.62 bore )... but this is a retired tool & die guy, he'll be buying a barrel blank in 6.5 mm & fitting it to one of his guns... of course floating the barrel, & possibly a couple other accurizing additions to the gun...

Everything I can find on it says 7.62X54 case necked down. Sorta like a 6.5-06 or a 260 Rem, I suppose.

Yes, you can accurize a Mosin-Nagant (big need is a decent trigger).

Back