This is the best I have felt about my vote since 1984...

Unregistered

I just got finished voting in the Georgia Primary, and I must say this is the best I have felt about my vote since I voted for Reagan. I have been compromising and voting for the lesser of two evils for the last 23 years... but that trend stopped this year. Give it a try, vote your conscience and not for who the media and party fat cats tell you to vote, and help get our country back on course!

Unfortunately, most Americans want to vote for the person who ends up winning, rather than the person who best represents their views like Unregistered did.

I think I'm going to vote for Alan Keyes...

A First

I will be 39 in March and in all the years of my adult life, all the elections in which I've ever thrown my stone into the well, this is the first election of any kind in which I feel I am casting my vote for my candidate versus voting against one, choosing, as it were, the lesser of two evils. How's that for a run-on sentence?

There's a lot of hope, prayer and constant practice at the range in my one small vote! November seems so very far away!

I'm with you guys. No more casting votes for the least undesirable.

Ron Paul won my precinct with 50% of the votes, due to people like me who have decided to represent themselves rather than play games.

A New Yorker just communicated that via post voting polls, most anti-war Republicans in that state voted for McCain. I find that bizarre.

Never-the-less, it appears that I won't be casting a vote in November. That is unless something unexpected happens at the Republican national convention that propels my candidate into the nomination.

It is heartening that this may go to a brokered convention still, I like that idea.

I decided not to vote in the GA primary this year. Just didn't seem worth the effort. I will vote in the general. So, how many delegates does Ron have committed now, 14? :cool:

I think I'm going to vote for Alan Keyes...

Met him twice in IL, once for president in '00 and once for senate in '04. Despite all the tongue-in-cheek and tabloid-type stuff, I think the guy's got his head on a heck of a lot straighter than most people who rise to his level of visibility. I'd say he's top-3 on conservative values this year.

What's disheartening is reading about people who won't vote. The poll is the one place where we can actually make our voices heard. My feeling is if one doesn't vote, one has no right to bitch about the status quo.

Vincent:

I appreciate your angle with that statement, but just how exactly are you supposed to vote if you loathe both choices in front of you and no suitable write-in exists (since RP or another Constitution-oriented candidate won't be running at the time in November)?

I can't vote for McCain. It won't happen. If I vote for McCain, I will be sending a message to the Republican Party that candidates like him are "okay," and that 2004 or 2008 I will again vote for a similar candidate to McCain.

I can't vote for Hillary or Obama. It won't happen. I don't want state health care, increased social security taxes and benefits, or any other liberal/statist dystopian programs.

I want Newt or his successor to come forward and bring us a new Contract With America. That won't happen if I continue to tacitly endorse the actions of this batch of conservatives (who don't deserve the title).

how exactly are you supposed to vote if you loathe both choices in front of you and no suitable write-in exists (since RP or another Constitution-oriented candidate won't be running at the time in November)?

You don't have to write in someone who is running. It's probably better if it is an actual person, but I'll bet Ralph Wiggum gets quite a few write in votes. I'm guessing I'll write in Ron Paul, but I'm still toying with the idea of voting for Ralph.

pick-wiggum.gif

I appreciate your angle with that statement, but just how exactly are you supposed to vote if you loathe both choices in front of you and no suitable write-in exists (since RP or another Constitution-oriented candidate won't be running at the time in November)?

There is absolutely no need to be pragmatic when voting in the primaries. (That's what November is for.) I wish more people understood that.

There is absolutely no need to be pragmatic when voting in the primaries. (That's what November is for.) I wish more people understood that.

Bob:

Yep, I wasn't pragmatic at all. I voted RP, and he didn't win my state just like he didn't win anywhere else.

But pragmatic in November? What good does that do?

My choices:

McCain - pro-illegal immigration (despite whatever he says, his actual legislative history says otherwise), anti-1A, anti-2A.

HillBama - spend us into servitude, tax us into submission, take our guns away.

Forgive the crudeness, but it's like being asked if you want to be gang raped by a bunch of 260 pound prison convicts or a bunch of 280 pound prison convicts. Why can't I just say "no thank you, I would rather not be raped at all?"

Granted, the rape will still occur in the case of this metaphor, and it will still occur in the case of the election. Writing in Mickey Mouse or some other fictional character... or a person who isn't officially running for President (Fred Thompson at this point, Ron Paul by November), won't accomplish anything. Even if 200 million americans united and wrote in Richard Simmons for President in 2008, he can't win since he never initiated the process to become President. Humerous write-ins are pointless.

We need an "I object to all candidates" box. Somehow, I think that box would win this time around.

inspiring turn out here

OK I live in a tiny place where the turn out for both parties last night was inspiring. While I have my own choice on who I supported that was almost secondary to the events. Typically there are 25 to 40 people at either parties meeting. Last night the numbers grew to over 200 actual registered voters at each. I now wonder if that is a great indicator that more people are actually interested in the process. I watched a very interesting cross section of the community turn out. Not simply the same group of people who you knew from previous party caucuses. So I'm going to stay inspired and wonder if there might actually be a turnout in November of more than 28% of the community.

Local resuslts: McCain Obabma

Forgive the crudeness, but it's like being asked if you want to be gang raped by a bunch of 260 pound prison convicts or a bunch of 280 pound prison convicts. Why can't I just say "no thank you, I would rather not be raped at all?"
You can, that's what your guns are for. Like you, I'm not going to help put the lesser of two thugs in office.

But pragmatic in November? What good does that do?

It doesn't do any good, I'm just tired of arguing about that. :) So I'm trying to point out that that issue doesn't even apply in the primaries.

OP said:
Give it a try, vote your conscience and not for who the media and party fat cats tell you to vote, and help get our country back on course!

I did that in 92. So did my sis and at least two of my closest friends. That worked sooo well :rolleyes: I've kicked myself in the behind and swore I'd never do it again ever since.

You know what? I'm almost ready to do it again, and damn the consequences.

The Elephant got shot in the behind with a 22 LR in 2006, but hardly noticed. Maybe a .600 Nitro between the eyes will get it's attention.

Hope the Republic can withstand the ensuing damage, but really...how much worse can HillBama make it than Juan McCain?

BTW, this is a rhetorical question...

Our primary was yesterday. I vote in the primary for the candidate that most reflects my views whether or not they win. That is what the primary is for. It is a selection process based on the majority and I don't necessarily have to be part of the majority.

In the general election, I suspect I will have to do some soul searching, and my vote will probably be a vote against the other dominant candidate rather than being for the person. I think that sucks really, but it reflects the real world.

Unfortunately, most Americans want to vote for the person who ends up winning, rather than the person who best represents their views like Unregistered did.

The GOP will start winning general elections when the GOP voters start having principle again.

Back