• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

This is strange...

CAP

Inactive
Just got an email notification that I had a response to a topic that I didn't post! The topic is "9mm for CCW- sig228 or CZ75 PCR" posted by tucoR on the Handguns: The Semiauto Forum. When I checked the topic the initial post had my name on it!

SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!

Got this message from the 1911 Forum earlier today:

"Members,

Recently, the pro-gun web site KeepAndBearArms.com was professionally hacked. This is a quote from Angela "The problems are still occurring, and we can't even reach our people to warn them."

The purpose of this email is to consider changing your password. Your password should be at least 8 characters long with a combination of characters and numbers.

Admins, I've locked you out of the forum control panel until you change your password. With the admin controls, it's too easy to delete all the forums.

Best Regards,

ArmySon
1911forum.com Administrator"

Whoever is hacking the gun sites is still at it. Don't know if you're aware but your site was down earlier this evening.

Had my fingers crossed on that one. Didn't help.

The database (MySQL) server contains tables for authorized users like "www.thefiringline.com" to make certain that it can't be manipulated from outside the server. The forum database also contains a table for users. Both tables are the same name.

When I screwed database ownership and went to reload it from a backup, I used a script that I had and forgot to substitute the mysql owner database name for the tfl database. The result: overwrote Forum user table with one that made no sense to the software. With me so far?

I then had to rebuild the Forum users from the previous night's backup....I was hoping there had been no additional registrations during the night. Evidently there were. Tuco registered and posted. Then his profile got blown away. You registered and were assigned the next ID number.....which had been his. Thus, all Tuco's posts have an ID that references your Profile.

If he comes back and registers, we'll straighten it out. "Oh, Tuuuuuuuco.....anyone seen Tuco?"
Rich

Well, that explains it. I guess a software problem is better than being hacked.

So, it's fixed where my posts will be mine and tuco's will be his. "Tuuuuuuuuuco where'd you go?"

Thanks.

Oh WOW!

I have to admit, on the Irwin relative scale of newly identified system glitches and bugs, that one gets a 7.5 out of 10!

That's pretty neat in a forensic kinda way...

Oh, you may wonder if anything has ever gotten a 10 on my relative scale?

Yep, 1 event.

JPL's failure to convert units from metric to English measurement, which resulted in the loss of a Mars probe...

Now that qualifies as an "oopsie!"

Back