This is NUTS! It should NOT be happening!

Lavan

This has been something that has been true for me for decades.

To sight in my new handgun, I ....almost..... always have to crank the sight way over to the right.

Most of the guns (semis AND revolvers) have sights at the extreme right side.

I get good groups. I've won trophies.

BUT......

My guns with FIXED sights I seem to have no trouble hitting point of aim with the SAME damn sight picture as my "crankies."

I know no one will have "THE" answer, but I just had to vent as it is such a crazy thing.

:confused::):confused::)

Have you had a higher level instructor watch you shoot? I had a consistent problem and a course with Tom Givens fixed it. He saw the bad grip (which others didn't).

Most of the guns (semis AND revolvers) have sights at the extreme right side.

Maybe because they live in California. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm thinking your sight picture really isn't exactly the same. Maybe, subconciously you are compensating with the fixed sight guns?

Happens with new guns, correct?

Maybe at the factory the guys installing the sight blade into the rear adjustable sight puts the blade in and then cranks the screw holding the blade all the way in...or maybe he just catches the first thread or two and calls it quits.

Maybe it's the 'procedure' they use at the factory that causes the problem or maybe it's just Joe-The-Assembler with nobody checking on him that does it and by 'Joe' I mean something kind of common that might unconsciously get done at many different factories by many different folk.

After you adjust the sights is the rear blade in the middle or is it all the way left or all the way right?

Sounds a lot like myself! I'm a right-hand shooter,BUT left-eye dominant! My sights look like your's,and like yours,give excellent results. :D

it's how you're pulling the trigger.
But if you're getting great groups and are on target you're consistent.
Being consistent is the holy grail of pistol shooting.

Sights are adjustable for a reason. You just found the reason.

My sights are all the way left. I'm a lefty.

AFS

This anomaly pertains to BOTH my autos and revolvers.
My shots all go to point of aim and centered.
My Rossi revolving 45 rifle's sight I even adjusted out of the base and to the right of it.
I let 2 guys shoot it for the first time and they used first shot bullet holes for their target and made cloverleafs.
It isn't ....every....gun doing this, but the majority do.
As I said, a mystery.

Thinking this over, it MIGHT be my "hold."

I don't think I have a limpwrist fault, but just use a very LIGHT hold on all handguns.

My shooting coach in 1960 was a VERY good and experienced competitive shooter.
He was an advocate of a light but controlled hold to reduce tremor.
It worked.
I also reloaded at his house as he had a Star progressive loader that would turn out 38 wadcutters like a factory.
I questioned his loads and he told me he wanted just enough powder to get the bullet to the CENTER of the target with enough energy to pierce the paper. Cool. And it works.
I've never enjoyed shooting magnums and I even shoot wadcutters in my M66 most of the time.

I even use STANDARD VELOCITY .22 LR :o

And ...strangely.... I even shoot BETTER groups one handed than two handed. Weird.
But quite likely due to the different mode of concentration on one hand operation.

I have a theory that two hands (IN MY MIND) suggest that I am trying to overcontrol the gun.

This could explain the whole thing. :confused:

If you want the answer, have someone else, a known good shooter, fire one of those guns off a rest, or even better, use a Ransom rest. If you shoot where you want to shoot, it really doesn't matter, but I can see how something like that could bug you.

Jim

This is NUTS! It should NOT be happening!

If you have not determined eye dominance, and crossing your line of sight with a tilt of the head, that would also cause a differentiation of grouping. Determine your eye dominance, and close your less dominant eye like "me" with an astigmatism that prevents me from shooting with both eyes opened. If you wear corrective glasses, place a piece of paper or leaf over your non-dominant eye before the shot.

If you are right-handed, you might be pulling the trigger with force and creating a slight left twist in your grip (c. 7:00). If you are left-handed, you will be pulling to the right (c. 5:00). If all your firearms are doing the same with your aiming, then you need to concentrate practice with a squeeze, and allowing the firearm to surprise you when it discharges. I would suspect you are having a problem with "pull" vs. "squeeze" in your targeting. Most every firearm is shot locked-down before shipment for bull's eye. If your shots are always to the right, I suspect you are left-handed, and that your are pulling the trigger at the last second before fire.

Last edited:
Back