This is FUN!

uncle.45

Hi, Guys!
I won't bore you with why I haven't been around. Things are better now.
I've loaded 45acp on a Dillon SDB for several years, and enjoy it a lot.
Early this year I got a Ruger GP100 6" 357 magnum. What a great handgun!
I decided to start loading for it, and dug out a Lee single station press that was under the bench. After getting dies, etc, I loaded 12 rounds each of 3.9, 4.2, 4.5, and 4.8 grains of HP38 under 158gr SWCs.
I had a great time with this little press! I always take my time and pick nits, so this loading method suits my OCD nature very well.
I will let you know asap how the load tests go, but in the meantime, no matter how you reload, HAVE A LOT OF FUN!!

I like loading for my GP100, also with the 6” barrel. I use HP38 also under 158 grain plated pills. Fine shooter.

I am currently using coated bullets from MBC.
I've been using them for a long time with great success.
Acme and Bayou have served me well, too.

I’ve had an RCBS Partner press for over 30 years. It’s great for light duty reloading and has a small footprint, I set it up for pistol cases from time to time when I want to change things up a bit. I too have fun using it.

I FINALLY Got To Shoot My First 357 Magnum Reloads

It was a good range outing.
I shot 5 different loads from my GP100, and the results were pretty much textbook.
At the low end, the hits were kinda high, and as I progressed towards the max, the hits came down to where I had the sights adjusted with factory ammo.
Even at max it felt like shooting 38 Spl. though.
I don't think I will load any more 357s with HP38 unless they are for the wife to plink targets.
I found some Accurate No.9, and it came a couple of days ago.
It's not rocket fuel, but it will give me a little more oomph than HP38.
The next range trip I will take 4 or 5 loads of No.9 to try.
BTW - I got a scout scope for my lever gun, and set it up today.
I will take plenty of test loads to try in it also.
I'll let you know how it goes asap.

Loading revolver/lever ammo is more fun and satisfying than semi-autos. IMHO.

It's (AA#9) not rocket fuel, but it will give me a little more oomph than HP38.

It'll give you quite a bit more oomph than HP-38. #9 comes up just short of full-throttle magnum (2400, H-110, etc.).

#9 comes up just short of full-throttle magnum (2400, H-110, etc.).

#9 gives up nothing to those powders. Well in the case of W296/H110 it does download quite a bit better and isn't as tempermental when using regular primers.

As far as velocities are concerned; it is right up there with less muzzle flash.

Even at max it felt like shooting 38 Spl. though.
That's the way it should be :) . No need to shoot full house loads. Paper, steel, and varmints don't care what they are hit with. And less recoil, blast, and noise. All wins. My loads are all under 1100fps with 158g SWCs. BTW, I liked 6.0g W-231 under 158g SWC (1070fps out of 6 1/2" barrel BH).

Yep, reloading is relaxing and rewarding... And fun too.

Last edited:
rclark,
That's interesting intel.
At 4.9gr HP38/231 was still real soft even though 5.0 is supposed to be max.
I may look into that.
In the meantime, I will load some test rounds with No.9 to see hoe I like it.
Thanks!

"At 4.9gr HP38/231 was still real soft even though 5.0 is supposed to be max.
I may look into that."

I have several Winchester loading booklets and here's what they show for W231.
W231 and HP38 are the same powder BTW. Booklets only show maximum loads.

158 gr. JHP 6.9gr. 1260 FPS 42,000 C.U.P.

158 gr. lead 6.7 gr. 1275 FPS 42,500 C.U.P.

Paul B.

There is always some discrepancy between databooks. Hodgdon shows 5 grains for lead and 6.9 for jacketed. However, the lead load stops at 23,900 CUP. This tells me the maximum was chosen to prevent excessive lead fouling and not because a pressure limit had been reached. The coated bullets may do better about fouling, and if you are willing to do some extra cleaning, even with cast lead (harder than swaged lead), the number Paul B. found could be just fine.

I can't say I've experienced any significant leading with the load I used. The velocity isn't that high. The bullets I use are BHN 12 to 15. In .44 Mag I've shot SWCs at 1300fps with no leading. As we know leading depends on a bunch of conditions :) .... That said, I haven't shoot plated or jacketed in a very long time now. I've also never shot any of the new fangled coated bullets either.

Last edited:
Back