This happened while shooting steel today

AL45

My Wife and I purchased a 3/8" AR500 steel target and shot it with everything from .22 LR to .45 Colt. We shot jacketed, hollow point and cast lead with no problems or damage to target. Today I shot it with my .308. I was using my handloads of 150 grain JSP and according to the load data it should have been traveling at around 2800 FPS. I researched as to how close you can shoot a .308 at this target without causing damage and generally found that at least 100 to 150 yards was needed. I shot it from 100 and it produced a small ding. I backed up to 150 and again a ding was produced. Moved on to 200 and 300 yards and still made a ding. Tried from 400 yards but I was shooting a Ruger Scout rifle with iron sights over a sand bag and couldn't hit it. Especially with 25 to 30 MPH winds. At least that is my excuse.LOL Wonder why this target couldn't handle it?

TXAZ, it was a very slight indention that could barely be felt, but the handgun ammo made no such marks. It's not enough to compromise the target, but over time, it would be a problem if I continued to shoot it with the .308. I would show pictures, but I still use an old flip phone and have no idea how. The kids have all moved out and I'm not dragging my Wife out of bed to do it.LOL Perhaps someday I will join the modern World as far as technology goes, but probably not.

3/8" sounds a bit thin for .308. What does the manufacturer say it's rated for? Is the manufacturer the source of your research, or did you rely on other Internet sources?

Aguila Blanca, the target is from Champion and according to their website, 3/8" targets are rated for centerfire rifles. At 100 yards the bullet should be at less than 3000 fps at impact and less than 2500 ft/lbs of energy at impact. According to ballistic charts I looked at, a 150 grain .308 bullet would be below this at 300 yards.

...I'm not dragging my Wife out of bed ....

AL45, you sir, are one incredibly smart man! :D

I've shot AR 500 and AR550 steel targets with 660 grain ball .50 cal ammo and it does leave a very small 'smooth dent', maybe that's similar to what you're seeing.
If it were an AP or steel core round, I would expect a measurable dent if not small hole.

I shoot at a range that has a variety of steel plates at a variety of distances 100 to 400 yards. With 20 or 30 shooters at a time, 5 days a week, the steel plates take a beating and need to be replaced regularly. AP ammo is not allowed.

If I want to only shoot at steel plates, and hear the "thud", any bullet will do, and I don't really worry about velocity (except for on the 400 yard target).

If you try hard enough you can damage or destroy any target/backstop. I once drilled through 12" of steel reinforced concrete with 5.56 SS109 855 with the steel perpetrator inside. It took 36 rounds at 30 yards.

That is why I prefer to shoot "someone else's" steel plates, rather than buy and ruin my own.

Wonder why this target couldn't handle it?

Bud of mine ran an El Paso Gun Club range. He was able to procure from the local Army Base, armored personnel hatch covers, pieces of armor, and out to 300 yards, the rifle shooters just shot those things to pieces. He finally bought, very cheap, engine blocks, and let the rifle shooters blow those into things resembling Swiss cheese.

I have a couple of spinners that are for handguns. Trying to convince a son that high powered rifles will not be used can be a hard thing, but the holes are kind of pretty.

I got a reply back from Champion targets. They recommend that the target should be at a 10 to 20 degree angle.

AL45-You didn't mention how the target was mounted. Is it desighned to be swinging, or fall backward when hit?

Our range use AR500 steel that sees heavy use. You will see very slight dimples in the steel from most rifle rounds, even though we set the minimum distance at 100 yards for rifle. If you solidly mount the target, it needs to be angled down. This is why most are designed to swing, to deflect downward. More importantly, it is advisable to rotate the target front to back regularly to keep it from cupping.

3/8" sounds a bit thin for .308. What does the manufacturer say it's rated for? Is the manufacturer the source of your research, or did you rely on other Internet sources?

During WW1 metal created a problem for those using it for protection, they called it 'spalding'.

F. Guffey

A pic would be nice. I have a 3/8" thick 12" dia ar500 steel target that I regularly beat on with my 308 (168gr HPBT) and 556 (all sorts) from 100-200yrds. target shows no deformation. I've also shot it at 50yrds (foolishly) with green tip 556 federal and no deformation or craters. With the 308 it makes more of a SMACK! sound than DING. My target is suspended with 3-5' of chain to allow it to swing on impact.

Back